Dropped UK HID Light Cannon 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deuces

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, like an idiot, I dropped my UK Light Cannon off the top of the car onto the pavement. Of course, it did not turn back on. What I do notice is whenever I try to turn it on, a tiny blue flash seems to spark in the bulb and then go away but that's it.

What does this mean? New bulb replacement only ... hopefully? Or is my very expensive light just all fooked up?

Hmmmm......
I've actually dropped mine a few times (down the stairs at home twice and on the dive boats once) and it always seems to work. Usually, I'll disassemble the light and shake the light ballast a few times. You want to listen for a loud rattle that sounds like something is really really broken. A little jiggle might occur, but that seems to be normal. If you don't hear a lould rattle, you might be able to save the unit. Then reassemble and try to turn it on. Usually this works, but if it doesn't then you might need to buy a new lamp. This technique has worked each time for me in the past, but I don't know why. I have also not tried to find out why this works since as you stated it is an expensive light!

Deuces:
OK, like an idiot, I dropped my UK Light Cannon off the top of the car onto the pavement. Of course, it did not turn back on. What I do notice is whenever I try to turn it on, a tiny blue flash seems to spark in the bulb and then go away but that's it.

What does this mean? New bulb replacement only ... hopefully? Or is my very expensive light just all fooked up?

Ouch! My first guess was that the bulb has been compromised. Then I thought maybe not, because I doubt it would retain enough gas to burn for even a second if that was the case...so maybe it's the ballast. If you drop $70 or whatever on a new bulb you run the risk of it blowing on you. Then you'd know it wasn't the bulb but that's a risky and expensive validation IMO.

Your best bet might be to call UK and/or send it in. Let their people sort it out.

My wife and I each have one....and I dread the day one or both gets dropped..but man they are nice. I leave mine bolt snapped to a D-RING...I can direct the beam when I want to without unsnapping it, otherwise I tuck it behind my shoulder strap, out of the way. Nice lights..I've not had a problem, yet...so far.

Good to hear, I just got the Tribal Pack. I can't wait to get it wet.

HumanFish, when you say you have it on a Snap bolt to a D ring

Wouldn't it be heavy? Do you have a pic of you with your Light at night or day?

ocrmaster:
Good to hear, I just got the Tribal Pack. I can't wait to get it wet.

HumanFish, when you say you have it on a Snap bolt to a D ring

Wouldn't it be heavy? Do you have a pic of you with your Light at night or day?

Sorry, I don't have a picture. Heavy? I'm not sure what you mean. With full cold water gear on, an extra pound or so on the shoulder D-Ring is not noticable, at least not for me. Even in warm water without any thermal protection I don't notice it. Underwater it is slightly negatively bouyant but does not affect my trim. I do however, calculate the weight of the light into my overall weighting when planning the dive, as I do with any other gear I'm diving with.

I used to hold the pistol grip with a lanyard on my wrist. Personally I like diving with a light but I rarely use it for the whole dive, unless night diving. Also, having something in the hand can be cumbersome when multitasking is required. I find that having it snapped to my shoulder D-ring it dangles roughly in the center of my chest where I can direct the beam by cradling the light in my palms while my fingers are interlaced and hands close to my chest. It makes all types of entries and exits easier as you don't have to worry about dropping the light or handing it up. In the event I need the light moved or of the D-Ring, I just unsnap it, use it, then replace it.

I hope I haven't hijacked the thread. Any luck with your light Deuces?

thanks human fish

Tiny blue flash? Is it also possible that it's the sparks done by the ignitor?

I've heard mixed opinion about how fragile or non-fragile the light is...
I've seen a 2 packages related to the Cannon light, one is 3 in 1, a Cannon light, a small backup and a dive knife, come with a UK box. The second package, I saw it online, just a Cannon with a UK box.... and that's the only light which has a box to come with as an option... so at least during travel I think it's a good idea to keep it save like that.

Cannon's Weight:
44 oz (air), 11 oz (water)

Try removing the lamp and reinstalling it. It may have just gotten jarred loose. I've dropped mine a few times and knocked the lamp loose. Works fine after the lamp is reseated. Make sure you put it back the same way. They are polarity sensitive.

You also might want to try some fresh batteries. It takes more power to strike the lamp than to keep it burning, and the problem you described could be a failure to strike.

Good luck.

humanFish:
Any luck with your light Deuces?
Hey folks, thanks for all your advice. I had gone out of town the day after I dropped my light so last night I was finally able to take a really good look at it. Everything looked fine so I just reseated the bulb carefully and lo and behold, let there be light!

It was "flashing" like between white and pink colors. Bizarre. This was happening during the dive b4 I dropped it also. I changed the batteries and now it looks to be good!

Thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom