UK SL4 vs SL4e-Led; Anyone with hands-on exp.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, I was just wondering is anyone here has any hands on experience with both the UK SL4 and SL4 e-Led, in order to get a hands-on comparison?

The funny thing is the SL4 has a 115 Lumen rating while the SL4e-Led has only a 38 Lumen rating! That's a huge difference! Not to mention the e-Led is double the price...

I know the e-led gets brighter underwater, but was wondering hands-on if there is a major difference between the 2? I like the durability aspect of the e-Led, but if the brightness is 1/3 the other and 1/2 the price...:confused:

Does anybody have any input for this?

I'd probably using it mainly as a day light for under ledges and secondary for night dives. Oh yeah, and mainly in clear water like the caribean... Not much good night diving to be had here...

Thanks in advance for your help/comments!:coffee:

I own a few LED lights, including the PT Shockwave LED (with 3 - 3watt LEDs). They offer amazing battery life for the light they put out. The 9 watts of LED put out a LOT of light, but over a broad area. I absolutely love it for night diving. My eyes are adjusted to the darkness, so adding a fair amount of light, over a large area, is perfect (for me) to see a lot of the ocean bottom.

The SL4 Halogen has a very tight beam. Even in daylight, you can see where it's shining. For daytime diving, I'd consider the spot from an SL4 to be at the lower edge of useful. My 10 watt HID Light Canon makes a much better daytime light, but it's bulkier, so unless I know I'll really want a light... I bring my SL4.

I live by my sl4, my dive bubby hase a the led. we have put them side by side and as a day light i really coulnd tell. At night way different. the led gives you a white light while a relgular sl4 gives you a yellowish light. Its hard to explain with out having seeing it. that being said, I use my sl4, day and night, has great beam, and my and my buddy think the beam is a little better with mine. POlush mine was a lot cheaper lol

I have the sl4 and someone on my live aboard had the eled, i would now go with the e led it does not hurt ur eyes as much if u were to shine it in your eyes by accident. other than that there is no difference.

Sharkbaithawaii:
I live by my sl4, my dive bubby hase a the led. we have put them side by side and as a day light i really coulnd tell. At night way different. the led gives you a white light while a relgular sl4 gives you a yellowish light. Its hard to explain with out having seeing it. that being said, I use my sl4, day and night, has great beam, and my and my buddy think the beam is a little better with mine. POlush mine was a lot cheaper lol

I uses a SL4 and love it. I dive with a diver using SL4 eLED and had the chance to compare. As stated, the difference isn't that obvious during the day. But for night dives, LED looks better to me due to its white light.

I was considering the SL4 eLED when I was shopping. But just not sure that the eLED is worth twice the price I paid for the SL4 since I am using it mainly for night diving only..............which only from time to time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom