Salvo 21 LED not ready for prime time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtivat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I purchased a new Salvo Rebel 21 watt LED light about three weeks ago. When I first received the light the weather was horrible here in Michigan so I could only play with it on dry land. My first impression when comparing to a 10watt Sartek HID was that it is a bright ass light! This thing put out way more over all light, but was not as focused as the HID.

Then the problems started. While playing with it the first day I received the light, my wife came home with groceries. I set the light on the counter and went out and brought them inside. When I came back the light was on, I did not think much of at the time. However, later I laid the light on the couch and it came on??? The light would come on occasionally if I tapped the head or wiggled the cord. Then it started to come on easily, I could tap it and make it come on in about 10 seconds every time I tired.

Next I PM-ed Salvo and Mike from TSTC were I purchased the light. Well the response I received from Salvo was less than encouraging. He basically said, “We have seen this and it is due to the electronics in the light head. I should just unplug the battery when not in use.” Hmmm maybe we should just get rid of switches and I can plug and unplug the light when I want to use it??? WTF??? This is a $1280 light and that is the answer I get??? Are you kidding me???

Mike was much more helpful and told me to send it back and he would take care of it. By this time (a week after getting the light) the weather was better and I decided to take the light for a dive. My buddy and I got to the lake and geared up, I showed him the light while gearing up and it worked fine. Once we got in the water I hit the switch and nada. I tried and tried to get it to fire but to no avail, the light was dead. After getting home I thought maybe it was the battery so I charged it, but still no light.

At this point I sent the light back to Mike and he turned it around in just over a week. I received the light back yesterday and in the first three hours it turned itself on three times and has continued to happen more today. I am done with it, there is no way I am taking it on, or in a deep wreck in Lake Michigan.

I do believe LED’s are the future but not this one, not yet. I need to trust my dive gear. I do not want to be a guinea pig for a product that has been released to the public and should have had the bugs worked out.

Mike has been very helpful and has offered to trade the light for a 21HID for no additional cost. I am taking him up on it! Hopefully I will be more impressed with Salvo’s HID lights.

Back
Top Bottom