HL_2400 LED light from Ano Industries (2400 lumens)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greatlakeswreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There was a post in the classifieds section for a new dive light from a supplier in China. There was some apprehension because there was no online purchase just a "contact me". I decided to see what this was all about and if the price was right, would bite to put it head to head against other lights at an upcoming Dive Light Shootout at out dive club in September. Janey at Ano is great to deal with. Have to realize that there is a huge time difference, but I have gotten multiple email exchanges with her if I email late night. Light arrived today. Batter had a pretty good charge in it out of the box. I topped it off with about an hour of charging with the included charger.

Indoors with lights on - I was not impressed and thought I got taken but...that is not a good test. Waited till it got dark and went outside with my Underwater Kinetics eLED rated just under 900 lumens in one hand and the HL_2400 in the other. There is a DEFINITE difference. Just going by eye - The HL_2400 is much brighter. I don't know about twice (I'll wait to see what the intensity meter saws about that).

Build quality looks good. I have not opened it up. There is a nice machined cap on the tail end that is opened with a coin (included with the light) for the charging port. Light turns on with a twist of the large ring just behind the head. Will be easy to do with dry gloves on.

Plan on taking this on a 65' dive this weekend. Will check for water tightness. Plan on opening it up after that dive so I can see how it is out of the box and ready to dive. Plan on cycling the pack a few times before out dive light shootout as well as putting it on my LiIon charger that will give me good readouts on pack condition and capacity.

These are land pictures so take them for what it is worth.

UK light cannon eLED:

20130909_201037[1].jpg

Ano Industries HL_2400:

20130909_201117[1].jpg

Size comparison of the two

20130909_201252[1].jpg

Sounds like this is a pre-production light. I suggested they include a low battery indicator. Janey believes they can add in a strobe effect when the battery is 5 or 10% left to allow a diver to switch to a backup light before losing all power.

Thanks for the wright up and waiting for the test / shootout results. I agree with everything you stated in dealing with the supplier. I found her to be easy to ask questions and always got a reply. I was going to get two of them but the supplier felt that they were not a good match for my needs.

@Eric - price is based on quantity purchased. For me purchasing a single unit, it was about $95 + shipping. Best to contact Janey and she can give you a firm quote.

@Tony - can I ask what your needs were that they felt these lights would not work well for you? I have a very similiary designed light from Nocturnal Lights that I have been using for years.

A very good question. I was not really going to post my reason unless someone asked due to not wanting to sway business from the seller. Anyway, I am very into video, cave video and it appears that the beam is just too tight for my desire. I am still thinking about buying a couple and using a diffuser like I do with my DR 10 HID and my other 21 HID. Care to test the idea during the shootout?

@Tony - I would agree. It is a tight beam and would not work well alone as a video light. I can see if my diffuser for my Nocturnal would fit on the HL.

Sent from Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Looks like it could be a great bug light for lobster season.
As long as it has enough spill so you can get some peripheral orientation.
If it's too pinpoint with no halo then it wouldn't work.
But it doesn't need to be as soft as a video light.

For example: The DRIS 1000 lumen hand held is perfect for night bug diving. If it's anything like that but brighter then we have a winner!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom