NEW* Halcyon Flare LED handheld/cordless primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice. But this brings something to mind. "Is that a flashlight in your pocket or are you glad to see me?" LOL

pure technically : if you put DRIS 1000 on goodman handle you have same light

- same led CREE - XML

- same battery capacity cca 27Wh (4,5V*6Ah) , (3x1,5V )

- and same burntime (27Wh/10W= 2,7 h)

- DRIS is only 1/4 ( 7,75 inch vs 8,00 inch )(bloody imperial measuring units ) of inch longer

- 1,4 pound (0,63kg) both ( H is probably more (neutral ?) buoyant because of larger inner volume )

- for 21 time less money ( $1,260.39 vs $60,00 )

- beam is similar ( for XML you need large fresnell lens.......... with deep refector the and XML inside , diameter of reflector is much smaller )

Halcyon Flare Handheld Light System

DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

so the winner is ...............

PS: imust .......admit in some way i like new H goodman handle

pure technically : if you put DRIS 1000 on goodman handle you have same light

- same led CREE - XML

- same battery capacity cca 27Wh (4,5V*6Ah) , (3x1,5V )

- and same burntime (27Wh/10W= 2,7 h)

- DRIS is only 1/4 ( 7,75 inch vs 8,00 inch )(bloody imperial measuring units ) of inch longer

- 1,4 pound (0,63kg) both ( H is probably more (neutral ?) buoyant because of larger inner volume )

- for 21 time less money ( $1,260.39 vs $60,00 )

- beam is similar ( for XML you need large fresnell lens.......... with deep refector the and XML inside , diameter of reflector is much smaller )

Halcyon Flare Handheld Light System

DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

so the winner is ...............

PS: imust .......admit in some way i like new H goodman handle
I own a Focus, I've used a Flare, I own 3 DRIS 1000 lumen lights. They are not the same thing.

Wait, Halcyon use Cree XML in these light?!!!! Did H claim focus produce 1000 lumen? It is basically impossible to get 1000 lumen out of this LED. Cree XM-L2 U2 bin produces only 1000 at max under absolutely ideal case. Current drawn into needs to be 3A, which is huge. All interconnect resistance, battery internal resistance, driver efficiency, or any other parasitic start to play a significant role at the max level. A more realistic driving current is 2A range, which makes about 750lumen.

For comparison DRIS1000 produces about 350 lumen with brand new C cells. Current drawn is about 1A. If H really use Cree XML, then I am very disappointed at the cost. There is only so much one can do with a specific LED diode. With Cree XML, you really can't do significant better than DRIS in terms of light output.

For the corded Focus and Flare it is stated 975 Lumens. The handheld (at Addhelium) states lux. I am not sure what the DRIS is in lux. However I am under the impression that Halcyon tend to state Lux instead of lumens, as other manufactures tend to do. Thereby taking into account the area of illumination aswell.

(I do not want to start a Lux vs Lumens debate, there are far more qualified individuals here than me to debate that).

Could you elaborate a little, I'm interested in your impressions. Cheers.

Love the Focus, except for the power switch. It works great, it just feels like the switch could break. It is brighter than the UWLD 15 I used before, light is where i want it not all over. Being able to adjust the pattern, which is well defined is a huge plus for me. It is brighter than 21w HIDs and punches well through murk, unlike other LEDs I've used. I would buy another if they came out with a brighter model. Its not as bright as some of the other brands higher power offerings, it is a lot of light that works well in many very different environments.

The Flare is basically a Focus without an adjustable beam pattern and set to a pattern that is similar to my UWLD without all the spill.

The DRIS 1000 is a nice light and I use them as a backups. I've used it as a backup primary, it is not as bright or focused as the other lights and doesn't cut thought murk very well. It is bright enough to use as a solid backup in tech/cave diving or as a primary in clear open water diving. I've used it as a primary in caves but its quickly overpowered by the other divers lights (including those mentioned above), especially in darker caves.
I suspect the actual lumens to be around 650-700. Its about as bright as my old Dive Rite 10w HID with the LED upgrade was (old upgrade).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom