Anyone know the buoyancy characteristics of the Halcyon Focus corded primary light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vickasaurusrex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know the buoyancy characteristics the Halcyon Focus corded primary light (ex: negative by 1lbs)? Hoping to calculate my total ballast weight for future dives. Thank you in advance.

Page 8 of the manual shows dry weights (and other technical specs): both Focus and Focus 2.0 are listed at 2.95 lb/1.3 kg. I double-checked by weighing mine right now (with the 5.2 mAh battery), and it came to 3.2 lb/1.45 kg with a boltsnap and a drysuit thumb loop.

I would say it's all negative weight, but I don't have an accurate measurement in-water.

Do you have a travel scale? You could use that to weigh it while submerged in a bucket of water.

Yep, I meant to also weigh in water but couldn't do so right away. Updated numbers:

Focus 2.0 buoyancy in fresh water: 1.2 lb / .50 kg
Flare EXP buoyancy in fresh water: .6 lb / .28 kg

I'm somewhat surprised at the difference, but I guess that's why both lights feel quite comfortable for hours on end.

Page 8 of the manual shows dry weights (and other technical specs): both Focus and Focus 2.0 are listed at 2.95 lb/1.3 kg. I double-checked by weighing mine right now (with the 5.2 mAh battery), and it came to 3.2 lb/1.45 kg with a boltsnap and a drysuit thumb loop.

I would say it's all negative weight, but I don't have an accurate measurement in-water.
What’s a dry suit thumb loop?

Yep, I meant to also weigh in water but couldn't do so right away. Updated numbers:

Focus 2.0 buoyancy in fresh water: 1.2 lb / .50 kg
Flare EXP buoyancy in fresh water: .6 lb / .28 kg

I'm somewhat surprised at the difference, but I guess that's why both lights feel quite comfortable for hours on end.
That is exactly the same as my measurements

Reactions: xan
What’s a dry suit thumb loop?
The adjustable handles on Halcyon's lights come with a piece of bungee where the thumb rests; you may change this to a regular or (larger) drysuit thumb loop instead. Realistically, it's a negligible change to the overall buoyancy, but I mentioned it since it was a modification I made.

Attachments

• 1712960215918.png
    1712960215918.png
    437 KB · Views: 14
The adjustable handles on Halcyon's lights come with a piece of bungee where the thumb rests; you may change this to a regular or (larger) drysuit thumb loop instead. Realistically, it's a negligible change to the overall buoyancy, but I mentioned it since it was a modification I made.
Oh haha, thats not to rest your thumb on it, that’s a scooter thumb loop. It is made so that you can move the light to your right hand and hold it facing forward while remaining on the trigger driving the scooter.
There’s a standard size and a cold water (thick gloves/dry gloves) dry suit size.

Yeah, the bungee loop sucks, I changed to the hard thumb loop handle right away on mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom