looking for a channel islands california liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phil0839

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi all. im looking to go on my first live aboard to the channel islands and not sure where to look. also do you need to go with a buddy or can you go alone and pair up with someone aboard.

I used Truth Aquatics out of Santa Barbara and I highly recommend them but there are others.

I went with a buddy so never had an issue with trying to find one. I met the buddy through the LDS that chartered half the boat so we commuted together and dove together. (By asking the LDS if they knew of any other single divers on the trip that could use a buddy)

For the liveaboards, that seems to happen alot. You don't book direct with the boat but with a dive shop that has chartered half or all of it. But some trips with Truth Aquatics, htey do sell spots directly. You can look at their calendar and see.

Truth Aquatics Schedule and Rates

I have also heard good things about the Peace dive boat but no personal reference for that.

You could start looking here. California Dive Boats : The Official Page

I've done four liveaboard and one day trip on the Peace, and I simply cannot say enough good things about the boat and crew. They are a professional bunch -- efficient, helpful, and pleasant. They know their sites and they read their divers well. The boat is comfortable and the food at least used to be extraordinary (they have changed cooks, so I don't know how it is now).

I can't comment about whether you can come on board as a lone diver, but I would imagine it depends on how the boat is being booked. (If it's a dive shop or group, or an open boat.) It's always better to have a buddy if you can, so the person is a known quantity.

Truth Aquatics and the Peace are my two favorite boats for trips to the northern Channel Islands.

Does Truth Aquatics have CO meters on the their compressor system? I "heard" the Peace does.

Hey there Peter, I do not know the answer to that but I just shot them an email and will let you know what they say.

Phil, I'm not sure what you expect by "live-aboard" standards, but the two mentioned are really the best choices for multiday diving on our coast. That said, these are not Aggressor boats. They are dive boats with bunk rooms. Perfectly adequate and comfortable, but if you are expecting staterooms and not bunkrooms you will be disappointed. Our group does a 3-4 day trip every July on the Vision (Truth Aquatics) and it has always been a blast. I've done one 3 day Peace trip and it also was an outstanding trip. I am sure you will be able to find someone to dive with if you come on as a single (we had a guy from the Netherlands on our last trip). One thing is for sure, unless you are a picky eater, you will probably gain weight on both!

Response from question regarding CO meter...

Hi Keith, you inquired about CO meters on our compressor systems. We do not have CO meters and did you mean CO2? Anyway, we have a 3 stage filter bank along with moister traps. In nearly 40 years of filling scuba tanks I am happy to report we have never had a single incident with bad air. The systems have been reliable with producing pure breathing air. Glen Fritzler, owner, Truth Aquatics.

Response from question regarding CO meter...

Hi Keith, you inquired about CO meters on our compressor systems. We do not have CO meters and did you mean CO2? Anyway, we have a 3 stage filter bank along with moister traps. In nearly 40 years of filling scuba tanks I am happy to report we have never had a single incident with bad air. The systems have been reliable with producing pure breathing air. Glen Fritzler, owner, Truth Aquatics.

Keith, thanks for getting in touch with them.

40 years and no accidents so they are continuing to roll the dice? Just how old are their compressors? If they were replaced or rebuilt why? Because they FAILED? The Peace probably said the same thing until our CO incident. Now they have a repaired compressor and CO meters. The Peace crew did all they could to keep us safe once they recognized there was a problem and refunded all fees, but we still had a near miss, or was it multiple near misses? Anyone boarding Truth Aquatics boats should have their own CO meter, and test every single tank! After our incident, I got a CO meter for my home compressor that produces grade E air, and for traveling. Sounds like it is time for the customers to speak up and ask Truth Aquatics to put CO meters on their boats. The cost is very minor for the safety factor the CO meters provide. Sounds like they are not very familiar with all the CO problems being reported with the comment "Did you mean CO2?"

Back
Top Bottom