Channel Islands in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USNMARS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am going on a work dive job in October in the Channel Islands and will be staying on a liveaboard for 7 days. This is going to be my first west coast dive so I am itching for the opportunity to be involved in this project. Are the Channel Islands pretty much drysuit year round? I am an east coast diver so I am used to 5' viz being great so the possibility of having 50' is going to blow my mind. Is there anything special I should be aware of, any must do's while I am out this way?

There are folks rocking 7mm at the channel islands all year round -- but right now temps are about 50-59f, so it depends on your pain threshold! In October you should be okay in a 7mm. Some dive boats in the area (pacific star) go out to the Oil Rigs off the coast of LA/Long Beach. Its a wild dive and something that is very unique. If you see any clubs or boats going out to those, it is certainly worth it.

Also, if your dive port is near Two Harbors, you can walk over to USC Wrigley and check out their hyperbaric chamber if thats your thing -- they sell merch there you can only get while at the chamber.

Also, aquarium of the pacific at Long Beach is a pretty neat aquarium if you have a free day on mainland.

October is pretty much the best time to dive in Southern California. The water is still warm from the summer (most likely in the 60s maybe even 70s), the vis tends to improve dramatically (though not always) and lobster season is open (if you're into hunting).

On a seven-day cruise it sounds as though you will be diving several of the outer islands -- in which case you are in for a real treat.

We will be working at San Nicholas for the full 7 days doing a marine life survey. I am kind of awe struck that I am going on a trip like this and getting paid for it. To say I am stoked is an understatement. Thanks for the help ‘yall.

We will be working at San Nicholas for the full 7 days doing a marine life survey. I am kind of awe struck that I am going on a trip like this and getting paid for it. To say I am stoked is an understatement. Thanks for the help ‘yall.
Any room for one more? Will work for diving 😆

I have done a lot of diving at Channel Islands National Park. I think that october is one of the best months for diving there. Days are clear and sunny, visibility is excellent, water is still "warm." For me, the Channel Islands diving has always taken place in a 7 mm with hood, althought the last few years I have used a 8-7-6mm semidry. Many people do use dry suits. It is really a mater of personal choice rather than a temperature thing. I don't recall diving at San Nic although I have been on the island doing historic site assessments for the Navy. Neat place

With few exceptions, I have always used a 7 mm suit in the Channel Islands; was quite comfortable the entire time; October is good to great diving out there -- and you'll be there for the opening of lobster season.

What could be more better?

October is the only month of the year that I've ever dived the CI's. My old club from the Bay Area (Salt Water Revival) chartered with Truth Aquatics for the opening week of lobster season for MANY years. Can't say exactly what the varying water temps were but the low 60's feels about right. We all dove 7mm wetsuits but also most of just wore leather gardening gloves (for bug grabb'n) and hands never got cold. We would do 3-5 dives a day plus a night dive. Most dives were max 50ft or less.

If I was you.....I'd definitely make sure to have your fishing license in case the opportunity to grab some "bugs" comes up while doing your research work. This pic below is from 1994 where you can see me and my dive buddy obviously in wetsuits ...... I'm the clown on the right with a 13lb bug which is my lifetime personal best!!!!

LrRA1yv.jpg

If you think you might grab bugs, you also need a lobster report card ( $13 or so from any place that sells licenses or online but it will be mailed to you) and a 3 1/4" lobster gauge.

Most of my early diving was done off the Channel Islands, via three- or four-day boat trips. I always wore a 5mm wetsuit, but then I got smart and switched to a drysuit. It made a big difference, especially by the trip's end.

Were I in your booties -- doing repetitive dives over a week -- I'd dive dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom