Belize or Turks and Caicos? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to decide between the Belize Aggressor at the end of August or the Turks and Caicos Aggressor in May - wanting to take advantage of the Dive the World special. I have about 100 dives and am AOW. I have done a short liveaboard in Southern Cal - Channel Islands- and loved it. Land based diving in Roatan, Cozumel, Borneo and Fernando de Noronha. I am more interested in which offers better diving than which is a more comfortable boat experience. I love wall diving and haven't done a lot of night dives, so would love that experience. Crazy for Octopus. Any advice on which would be better, particularly given the conditions during those times? Thanks.

I have done both in early September, flip a coin. I think we saw more octopus in Belize. Do you like deep diving? Belize has the Blue Hole but overall the reef starts a little shallower.

I have done liveaboard trips in both T&C and Belize. I preferred T&C's walls and reefs but they are both great sites and I am sure you will have a good experience whichever you choose.

I was on the T&C Aggressor last fall and we had a terrific trip and the boat and crew were excellent and the diving was fantastic. My Belize liveaboard was not an aggressor so I cannot compare the 2 boats; but I have been on 4 different aggressor trips and they were all excellent. I have never been on the T&C explorer but I have heard that it is great, too; have fun!

If you pick T/C also look at the Explorer. They run basically the same route and might be a little cheaper. We saw Aggressor at the next mooring over 3-4 days out at French Cay and West Caicos. I was on Explorer May 1st a couple years ago - really decent weather except one day it was a little pitchy trying to re-board. On a drift dive so the boat was floating in the channel. We were easily able to do all 27 dives.

If you like Wall Diving - go to T/C. Several dives we hung out over it - one dive the next flat spot was 800' below according to the DM. And some go to 6000'. The upwelling brings up a lot of nutrients so the coral is super healthy. I'll go out on a limb and say that you'll see sharks on every dive at French Cay - and more Stingrays than you can count. At one mooring I counted 24 while hanging on my safety stop. I didn't see that many at Stingray City on Cayman. Basketball sized lionfish also and some groups see wild dolphins. Night dives are cool as you can follow the conch trails. One night the lights attracted some baitfish which attracted some jacks. Reef sharks hung out near the bow of the boat and picked them off when the divers weren't boarding.

It's also a slightly larger boat - most of the cabins are main deck with separate single beds - not over/under bunks - there's only bunks in the 3-4 below deck cabins. If I was sharing with a insta-buddy, I'd consider the upgrade. Also there's big windows in the cabins - except below deck. No personal flat screens like Aggressor - I guess they do that since their cabins all have portholes.

Explorer also has one more shaded deck than Aggressor - the fly bridge has cushioned benches and tables. Accessed from the sundeck. A group of about 8-10 of us lived up there all week. I even slept there one night. Good crew also although the Aggressor captain has about the best reputation in their company.

Interesting thing on Explorer is they vent the compressor air thru the middle of the dive deck - with a rack of hangers over it. If you dive a skin or t-shirt (like I do) they basically dry during lunch. Or by your 2nd dive.

Be sure you add it all up though - Explorer has an add-on fuel surcharge and charges extra for Nitrox - Aggressor bundles it in the price. I think they're still higher. Explorer also has 5-6 AL-100's for customer use - first come/first served so ask about it when you board - I overheard the DM offering and got the last one.

Mike wrote this about a year before I was on the boat. We missed the dolphins but I heard them once off West Caicos. Saudio's Trip Reports

Check flights also - for us (from Phoenix) with a 1AM departure we were on Provo by just after noon. A crew member met us and had a shuttle take us to Salt Mills mall for lunch while they took our gear to the boat. Then they picked us up around 4PM for the meet/greet. We looked into Belize once (land-based) but I couldn't get there until late afternoon without paying a fortune. IDK when the Belize Aggressor sails...

We do the Explorer in T&C and the Dancer in Belize. Love them both. Have repeated both multiple times.

Better diving? The 2 locations are very similar except for the minimum depth. Both offer walls that go as deep as you want. The top of the wall in T&C is generally much deeper, 50 ft vs 30 ft on average. Both locales will give you 5 night dives (Sunday to Thursday). Except: you are generally guaranteed multiple reef shark sitings in T&C without the need to chum. In Belize, chumming is generally required.

From a "comfortable" boat experience I can not talk about the Aggressors. The Explorer and Dancer are larger boats than the Aggressors with many rooms above the water line with large windows (not just port holes).

Do you have any specific boat requirements?

Hey, I don't mean to kidnap your thread, but I was about to post the exact same question. We are 3 experienced divers, but liveaboard virgins, planning our first LAB in April. Between Belize Aggressor or Turks and Caicos Explorer. The T&C explorer is about $500 cheaper and I believe has separate beds, while on the Aggressor we would bunk. A third option that was give is St Kitts/St Martteen with the Explorer for $1000 less than Belize.

besides that, dive wise, what are the big differences? Are the T&C dive spots with liveaboard the same that can be reached on day trips from land? I understand in Belize it's more common to reach farther away atolls which are the best.

Really interested in more feedback here.

Thanks so much

DiveBrasil:

Did you look the the thread I linked to in my earlier post? Live-aboard diving in T&C and Belize were discussed considerably in it. I'm down for the Sun Dancer II in May, and I believe the Belize Aggressor would be a very similar trip. I, too, was curious about T&C, and would probably like to do it eventually.

Richard.

You can reach the T&C dive spots done by the liveaboards from land, but they're longish boat rides compared to some places - plus you first have to head over to the other side of the island to catch the boat, rather than hopping on at your hotel. Typically you will do a 2 or occasionally 3 tank trip and be done for the day. Maybe sometimes you will also do something afternoon or night (and have a really long dive day.) On the liveaboard it's easy to do 4-5 by falling off the boat so you will probably get in a lot more dives, with more relaxation and comfort in between.

Hi Richard,

I did read a lot of the other thread and it was helpful, although it seems other destinations were discussed, and the boat itself seemed to be important to you. Did you end up deciding on Belize because the dives start shallower? None of us have Nitrox training but were thinking to do it on the boat.

There is such a price different between the Belize Aggressor and the T&C Explorer specially with a discount available on the date I am going. BZE Aggressor would be $2500 to bunk, while T&C Explorer $1700 to bunk (that's with a $500 discount).

Diving life, the big difference seems to be bigger animals including sharks in T&C, versus Belize.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom