DIY pressure pot alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a quick and dirty alternative to building my own pressure pot. The ones listed in the DIY section call for cutting old tanks, or using PVC.

As an alternative, I was thinking of using something somewhat almost ready to be used:

Thermos_Coleman_1_2_Gallon_Jug-41887_bs.jpg

An old water jug.

It has a wide mouth, double walls. I know an acrylic window would be nice, but like I said, quick and dirty. Going to use it to test lights and small housings.

All I might need to do is to stick in a gauge (optional) and a quick disconnect fitting. Only thinking of a max pressure of 150 PSI. Does this seem feasible?

I have found those containers to not do so well with pressure in the past. They seem to leak water from the spout when they are placed on their side and put in the sun. That was quite a while back so maybe they have addressed the problem although I wouldn't bet on it. If you pressurize with a high flow rate than you could probably achieve some pressures with it. Here are my concerns: 150 PSI is a lot of pressure for a plastic container. If you decide to try then I would advise you to go to a large open field with nobody around or somewhere off the beaten path and use personal protective equipment. I would be surprised if you managed to get more than 50 PSI into that container however would love to see a video of the results. :-D Just be safe about it and don't put your camera case in it for the initial pressurization or until you are satisfied of its ability to hold more than the required test pressure. Have fun and please post the results. You never know until you try (or find somebody with prior experience but thats just not as much fun).

What about going to a thrift store and buying a used pressure cooker. I don't know what pressure they go up to though but may be something to look into.:idk:

What about going to a thrift store and buying a used pressure cooker. I don't know what pressure they go up to though but may be something to look into.:idk:

They go up to 1ATM. But then again, that might be a result of the built in OPV...

How about a cut-off Al cylinder with a bolt on lid?

Hi pete. Noted those cut off tanks, but it would take too much work. Want it quick and dirty :D

@ Burna: I've got one of those large sprayers from Ace hardware - 17L capacity. The thought did cross my mind, but thre'd be so many other things to seal...How many PSI can those things handle?

Hi pete. Noted those cut off tanks, but it would take too much work. Want it quick and dirty :D

@ Burna: I've got one of those large sprayers from Ace hardware - 17L capacity. The thought did cross my mind, but thre'd be so many other things to seal...How many PSI can those things handle?

How many ATM are you seeking to create?

around 90 PSI. Just enough to simulate about 200 feet. Heck, even 67 PSI would be fine - for about 150 feet of water.

I dont think that plastic cooler will take even 50 psi...
Here is a better option:
5 Gallon Pressure Paint Tank
It's $80 but much better

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom