Where to buy steel grommets for a harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thought of doing my own harness for fun. Found online all the parts but cannot find these steel grommets they use on nylon webbing. Do you know where to buy them (the kind that will not rust)?

I don't even know the size. Do I measure the outside diameter or inside what makes the hole?

Any help?

PS: Will I need a special press to insert them?

Grommets would help prevent ripping or fraying, I think it would be proper to add them.

Thanks for the link but I am not sure what to do with 1000 of them.

Also, I don't think 5/16th is the right size, I approximate 1/2" to be the one.

I seen "settlers" to sell for like $25. All you need is a hammer.

You will find that brass grommets work quite well, easy to find at hardware store, and are much easier to set, using a hammer and standard dies. I've some that have held up for years.

Ok, if I will have an aluminum backplate, brass grommets, steel bolt/nuts, will there be some chemical reaction in salt water?

No need for a grommet. I have over a hundred dives on my doubles harness and it doesn't show any wear, where the hole is burned in. If you plan to use it for single tank use the grommet will just cause more standout and possibly allow the tank to rock back and forth more.

Metal to metal contact has potential for such with some corrosion. I've not seen with brass, but steel [even stainless] against aluminum is another matter and depends on your diligence in keeping it clean.
Not a chemist, only speak from personal experience.

This is very timely, as I have been looking around for some stainless steel grommets myself. All I could locate were nickel plated brass. Thanks for the link to the sailing supply place. I have seen a harness with the hole melted through it rip, given enough use. Sucks when you are not expecting it. Right now my harness has no grommet in it, and it is definitely showing wear after only a few dives. While I am sure it will last for 100 dives, I would prefer it last for 1000.

The easiest thing I have found is a simple pop rivet. The tool to instal them is less then $20 and the rivets are about $5 for 50. I use an awl to open a hole large enough to put the rivet through so I am not cutting or burning the webbing. This works well on weight belt webbing or seat belt webbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom