Mares computer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Mares M1 RGBM computer which I have used for a number of years. I am considering the purchase of a new Mares computer for my daughter who has just started diving and I am wondering what would be best for her.

My M1 has had problems with sticking buttons (sometimes virtually impossible to push them) and I have found that the menu system on this computer is not at all instinctive (eg if you haven't used some of the features for a while you will probably need the manual to sort things out rather than work it out for yourself). However I still like this computer - it has all the features I need.

So I am wondering have these issues been fixed on the M2? Do the buttons on the M2 work any better than has been typical of the M1? Has the menu system been changed to make it any easier or more instinctive?

Would a Puck be a better choice for a young person who will be probably an occasional diver? Cost is also a factor since I can get the M2 cheaper than the Puck.

Thanks for any advice,

Dave

I have a Mares M1 RGBM computer which I have used for a number of years. I am considering the purchase of a new Mares computer for my daughter who has just started diving and I am wondering what would be best for her.

My M1 has had problems with sticking buttons (sometimes virtually impossible to push them) and I have found that the menu system on this computer is not at all instinctive (eg if you haven't used some of the features for a while you will probably need the manual to sort things out rather than work it out for yourself). However I still like this computer - it has all the features I need.

So I am wondering have these issues been fixed on the M2? Do the buttons on the M2 work any better than has been typical of the M1? Has the menu system been changed to make it any easier or more instinctive?

Would a Puck be a better choice for a young person who will be probably an occasional diver? Cost is also a factor since I can get the M2 cheaper than the Puck.

Thanks for any advice,

Dave

Hi Dave,

You present a very good question. The M2 is not very different from the M1. User interface is slightly different, yet mostly the same. The buttons were also slightly improved, yet still some consider stiff. The M2 is a discontinued product from manufacturing which would most likely explain the price difference in the market. As for the Puck; I feel the puck is much more user intuitive, button is soft and easy to push, numbers are bigger and easier to read, and user download is terrific. Now having said that I think you know I'm leading you towards the Puck. I understand price is an issue, so rest assured there is nothing wrong with the M2 it's just not quite as easy as our newest products. I'd love to say a bunch of witty things but I must remain PC..

Best regards and I hope this helps,

Thanks Zak, your comments have been very helpful. From what you have said it does sound like the Puck may be the best choice and I don't mind spending the extra dollars if the product will suit my daughters needs better.

PS Have to say I find the name "Puck" somewhat 'ugly' or 'unfortunate' for some reason.

Both my husband and I use the Mares Puck computer. It's my first computer, so my only other experience is with a rental that I didn't really become very familiar with, so I can't really compare it to others. Still, I'm happy to share my impressions of the Puck.

What I like about it: conservative algorithym, ascent rate monitor, big and easy to read numbers, No deco time and depth very prominently displayed, can be used for Nitrox if I decide to go that route in the future, gives temperature (I love knowing this), one big easy to use button, different settings for use with fresh or salt water, price.

What I'm not as thrilled about: The manual is so-so. Still, it only took me about 30-40 minutes of playing around with the manual and computer before I felt comfortable navigating between screens. Also, the wrist mounted puck is a little bulky compared to the Suunto I rented before, but that model was a lot more expensive. Granted, I am very thin and have TINY wrists, but over my wetsuit it sits comfortably. It fits just fine on my husband's larger wrist.

We both like the Puck a lot--I'd buy this computer again if I had to replace it.

Thanks for the feedback from a users point of view on the Puck. From what I am hearing I think this will be ideal for my daughters needs, and since I have a Mares computer myself it would be good that we both have the same algorithm.

Back
Top Bottom