Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thoughts on AI for a recreational diver?
I'm a recreational diver. I dove for many years until I bought my first computer. That computer was AI. I don't see myself going back to non-AI for a primary computer at all.

All info in one place, plus ability to calculate gas time remaining in real-time is quite useful.

I am a recreational diver, once a twice a year at best though I have about 450 dives under my belt, 99% without a computer believe it or not.
I think I should get one now as I am getting older and need to take less risks. Are those Mares Puck computers ok ? I can't really justify spending over the top for something I use once or twice a year for a couple of weeks.
Yes, my son and I both have Mares Puck Pros and they are great value for the money. 1 button can be a bit annoying sometimes, but still a great computer for the money. I now also have a Shearwater, and dive with both it and the Puck -- and I often find myself glancing at the Puck more -- the Puck display really does a good job of showing everything you need in 1 glance. Puck batteries are easy to change with just a coin -- usually don't have to replace the O-ring, but you do want to check that each time.

If the eyes are old too, the Seac Screen is like the “large print” edition of an inexpensive dive computer

Thank you. There is a Cressi at the same price but I have heard there are issues with them dying on you after battery replacement. Are the Mares Puck easy to do a battery change on without wrecking it ?
Yes, it's easy to replace the battery on the Mares Puck.

Thank you. There is a Cressi at the same price but I have heard there are issues with them dying on you after battery replacement. Are the Mares Puck easy to do a battery change on without wrecking it ?

My feeling is it happens if you let the battery run really dead. Ours have been -- knock on wood -- problem-free for close to a decade now.

The IR eye and the way it deals with deco are the downsides. I suspect Puck will have the latter as well, though. One button could be a pain if you dive nitrox and have to change the mix all the time, but if you don't: you only need it to change the time once per trip (if your destination is in a different time zone) or after a battery change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom