Dragon MRS plus dropping pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maktub81

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have recently purchased a new Dragon MRS plus BCD and both times I have used it I have had the right pocket drop out. I was lucky to find the pocket on the first dive however not so fortunate the second time this happened. When I rang several Mares dealers in Melbourne to get some advice about the issue, I was told I would have to pay to have the BCD shipped back to Mares and that I could be without my BCD for approx 1-2 month just to have the issue looked at. Now I know I could pay the $90 to replace the pocket but I'm not convinced the problem will not resurface. Can anyone please provide me with some assistance as I would like to be back in the water ASAP. Regards

---------- Post Merged on September 4th, 2012 at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 3rd, 2012 at 09:54 PM ----------

Further developments from my first post,

Went into a Mares rep today to have the BCD looked at, they suggested that I would need the (missing)pocket to show them that there was a fault with the BC. After explaining again that it would be hard for me to produce the said (missing) pocket I was told that the only alternative was to ship the BC back to Mares. Furthermore, the rep gave me the distinct impression that the most likely result of sending the BC off would be that no conclusive result will be found and that I will end up just purchasing a new pocket. SO I have ordered a new set of pockets just hoping I do not have a reoccurring issue. The dragon is such a comfortable and practical BC I just dont want to be disappointed... I have to say I never had an issue with any of my other Mares products, fingers crossed

Last edited:
I've been pretty happy with my Mares BCD except the weight pocket system. It's one of those things that I've changed my mind about over time.
My weight pockets have dropped out mostly because the velcro inside can't keep more than 2 kg put. If there's more weight, when pitching forwrad, the back weight bumps into the front weight giving it enough inertia for the pocket to slip out. Just bad design I guess. After I realized I concentrate more on looking whether I've dropped the weights than on my dive, I've reverted to the dive belt.

Other than these things, I've had a friend's outer prong of the buckle snap after only 4 dives with the BCD, and I've also seen a small pebble logded in the release prongs making it impossible to remove the weight pocket with anything less than 4 grown men and some power tools.

Even though the pocket is rated for 6 kg, even two-1kg weights will have enough inertia to release the pocket.

Maybe making the weights inside immobile would help. The velcro inside is a pathetic attempt of achieving that and clearly doesn't work.

My partner and I have used the Dragon MRS plus since 2008 without any lost pocket issue for the first three years of use.
ZoranB, this BCD type uses the newer 'improved' pocket, dont jam like your version as no button, it uses an elastic cord, when pulled retracts the clips locking the pocket in.

Then this all changed on this summer's trip to El Hierro - Restinga marine park holiday (*great buzz - highly recommended).
During the two weeks, I lost a pocket 3 times(right side only), and my partner lost one during a rescue scenario training.

We managed to recover the pockets each time, took a couple of days and a lot of luck.. Carlos our sound and chilled DM and owner of Arrecifal diveshop on the island, retrieve one as well(thanks).
Due to easy wet suit diving, the pocket only had 3kg, so I was able to compensate quickly to buoyancy issues, still spooks one when over 20Meters.

On returning home, I ordered replacement 3 weeks ago and still waiting.
We got a break with good calm weather here in Ireland over the last week, so couldn't resist..
I filled 6kg directly into my left bcp zip pocket, and went with the 'good' maras pocket at BCD left side.
The left pocket is typically a snug fit as the AT unit reduces the space on the right side, and hence the pocket cant move as much..

Did 2 dives on Sat last (U-boat 260 in baltimore - west cork) and one yesterday.
Final dive, the right packet fell out.
And as this time it was a dry suit dive, the pocket had 6Kg, much more difficult to manage.
Coming to the end of the dive, with 60 bar left on 15L tank, 20 meter dept, 6 meter vis, 1.3 meter swell, got a bit worried.
And it was a lot more difficult to send up an SMB while keeping weight pocket between thighs.

I(or my partner) wast able to get the pocket back in, and time was running out, so had to carry it, which caused a pop on my safety stop, lucky i did a deep Suunto stop at 20Meters.

Long story short, my advise..
- get new pockets every 3 years.
- wash pockets thoroughly on each dive. With the Mares Plus pocket, salt seems to build up on the thick elastic strap causing it over time to loose ability to retract and lock in place properly.
- have a plan of action if you loose a pocket. eg do you have a large cargo pocket you can fill with stones. Consider flooding your suit to avoid uncontrollable assent etc. ****ty, but better wet then dead. Have a plan with your buddy, to reduce the risk of panicking/rapid assent.

>> search on 'Scuba Devils' moniker on flickr for dive snaps from El hierro..

Scuba Nutter, thanks for your comments

On returning home, I ordered replacement 3 weeks ago and still waiting.

I had feared that it could take time to get replacements for my BC and it is fast approaching two weeks since I ordered them, I have had to resort back to using a weight belt in the mean time. Are pockets really being lost so fast that Mares cant get a replacment supply out there! come on.

- get new pockets every 3 years.
- wash pockets thoroughly on each dive. With the Mares Plus pocket, salt seems to build up on the thick elastic strap causing it over time to loose ability to retract and lock in place properly.
- have a plan of action if you loose a pocket. eg do you have a large cargo pocket you can fill with stones. Consider flooding your suit to avoid uncontrollable assent etc. ****ty, but better wet then dead. Have a plan with your buddy, to reduce the risk of panicking/rapid assent.

I appreciate your advice, I am actually having new lead wieghts moulded to the insert pocket size to avoid having any movment in them. I hope that this will reduce the likely hood of another lost pocket and forbid it an uncontrolled assent from depth.

Hi all,
I'm sorry to hear about the pocket frustrations. I can't speak to it without really seeing the pockets or receptacle. I can say, here in N.America pockets are readily available for replacement. Obviously you are not here, but a quick phone call to the dealer you ordered them through, should render a quick answer as to length of time before you receive them. If a dealer called me, (which they do all the time), I could tell them within 30 seconds whether we had them, how long it would take to ship them, if we don't have them, when we expect to receive them, etc.... Your Dive Shop has the capacity to get this information easily. I hope you ask them for more information.

Best regards,

Zak

@scubanutter
My pockets ARE the ones with the "elastic" strap. And when I say "elastic" I mean it very loosely (no pun intended).

I still think it has everything to do with the individual weights shifting around in the pocket...

Hi all,
I'm sorry to hear about the pocket frustrations. I can't speak to it without really seeing the pockets or receptacle. I can say, here in N.America pockets are readily available for replacement. Obviously you are not here, but a quick phone call to the dealer you ordered them through, should render a quick answer as to length of time before you receive them. If a dealer called me, (which they do all the time), I could tell them within 30 seconds whether we had them, how long it would take to ship them, if we don't have them, when we expect to receive them, etc.... Your Dive Shop has the capacity to get this information easily. I hope you ask them for more information.

Best regards,

Zak

Hello Zak,

sorry for putting you on the spot, but you seem to be the only Mares rep to have replied to any of the posts on this issue so I had to take this opportunity to talk for all others who had this problem happen to them and are not on SB.

Like many divers, I love my Mares BCD. It is the most comfortable BC, it feels rugged and well-built.

Unfortunately, I've had the same issue with the MRS plus system: I had a weight pouch drop out a total of 6 times. After the 1st incident, I always made sure the pouch was inserted correctly and the buckle was snapped in (I even had others double check it b/c this became a group discussion between the "Yup, I too have had weigth drop from my MRS plus BC" and the non-believers, cf thread: Uncontrolled ascent!! - Loss of a Weight Insert for Mares Prestige BCD pocket). This has happened to both pouches, on both sides, and I was not overloading the pouch or even knocking them around.

With the number of people reporting the same problem over the years (on SB, elsewhere online and in person), I was hoping to find a proper response from Mares about this issue.

If it's a user issue, then owners of Mares BCs should be warned about something they might be doing wrong that could lead to the pouch falling off.

If it's a wear & tear issue, then owners of Mares BCs should be told what to do about it (get their MRS plus system tested/replaced every X number of dives?).

If there's a flaw on some fraction of them, let owners know so it can be addressed (Recall? Fix? Add a belt until Mares finds a fix?).

So far the reports of incidents with the MRS plus system I have read did not mention any injuries, or worse, fatalities. No need to wait to fix it.

Thanks.

I found a great "solution" to the problem and I've been diving much happier than before with the MRS plus pockets. I'm diving with a belt :)

Hi all,
mine weight pocket's also dropped out while swimming on surface.
Both off them. Bcd was new, it had only few dives.

I double checked them before dive and I'm sure they clicked.
Something was wrong with them.

Fortunately store where I bought them send me new ones for free.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom