Dolphin Slaughter in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
The Japanese are at it again. Culling dolphins Here is a link to the story:

Heroes star Hayden's surfboard protest fails to stop dolphin bloodbath | the Daily Mail

They got 18 year old Hollywood Actress: Hayden Panettiere in the middle of the protest. This made the newspapers and Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, and all those hollywood tabloid shows with pictures of her crying.

If you look at the link I have provide...they also show her in a bikini. I guess you need to have sex appeal to sell the story.

This is tragic and a waste to kill the dolphins, but to have Hayden Panttiere in the middle of it to makes the protest loose it credibility in my opinion.

If you want to end this slaughter...You need to draw attention to the fact that whale and dolphin blubber is contiminated with PCB's. There was a story earlier about this in Japan with the school children being subject to contaminated whale meat. Two local Japanese politicians were trying to bring this to the media's attention, but it didn't get alot of press.

Simple...if they is no market for whale and dolphin meat, then the industry that supports will die.

Lock Washer

There is a market for this as i know.Somtimes they hang halfdeas in the seine

off the fisheri,you can drop them over board and they will die about 1day later,or

you can buch them and sell the flesh...

E.L.7*

Huh...guess this wasn't an interesting topic to talk about.

There was another thread on it

Huh...guess this wasn't an interesting topic to talk about.
It's actually been talked about a lot but unfortunately it's so emotive an issue that some find it hard to remain civil discussing it.

You are quite right though -
Lock_Washer:
Simple...if they is no market for whale and dolphin meat, then the industry that supports will die.

It takes time though, and calling people names/protesting their way of life etc etc just makes it all take much longer. Who do you know that responds well to being told they can't do something that they feel they have every right to do?

Considering it was the vast whaling fleets of the Western nations that decimated whales in the first place - the Japanese were actually quite late to this party....it was something the US encouraged after WWII so that they could feed themselves - they tend to regard present attitudes against them as hypocritical to say the least.

HOWEVER....

The demand for these products is falling, and in spite of the best efforts of SOME people who see it as a cultural heritage issue, will probably continue to fall.
It's hard to see how the industry will sustain itself for much longer. In the case of dolphins sadly that's not quite so true. The demand from dolphinariums and aquariums worldwide will continue to keep Taiji in business for some time to come. A live dolphin is actually worth about 10 times more than a dead one. It's the sale of the live animals that keep this sad situation going.

Something to remember next time we take the kids to see the clever dolphins performing their party tricks!

There was another thread on it

They many have removed it? I've put in a request to know what happened to it. have not heard back from the mod. watching that particular thread.

X

*************** MODERATOR MESSAGE ****************
If history is any predictor, this thread will also end up closed and dumped.
I would like nothing more than to see a discussion on this issue without the name calling, disrespect for someone’s opinions and just plain trolling.
Please try to discuss this issue with an open mind and respect others points of view.

They many have removed it? I've put in a request to know what happened to it. have not heard back from the mod. watching that particular thread.

X

Looks like your right. Dead topic

This is where I have a different view. Only accredited and best equipped aquariums with a proven track record for husbandry should be displaying dolphins. There are alot of substandard aquariums or parks that shouldn't be displaying them. Sadly, its outside of the US where these places exist.

Also the better aquariums are able to breed, so there is no need to take them from the wild.

In some cases, the aquariums may be the last refuge for some dolphin species that are going extinct to save them. The chinese fresh water dolphin: "The Baiji" just went extinct. The chinese are trying to save the last finless porpoises by taking them into capivity to save them.

This porpoise that have mentioned numerous times: "The Vaquita" (The Gulf of California Porpoise) is down to 400 individuals left. Captivity is the only way to save this animal.

In New Zealand, they are thinking about taking the Hector's Dolphins, or Maui Dolphin into captivity to save it. There's only about 150 of those animals left.

It worked with the California Condor to save it...it can work with dolphins too.

Lock Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom