Playacar / PDC in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddyh2o

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey all

Long time lurker, new poster here.

The SO and I are off to Playacar (hacienda vista real- any word on that place??) on a cheap deal in late March. There's a lot of great info here on the board, but i thought i'd post a few questions here.

What's the diving like in later March, what can I expect, or is it always great down there?!

It seems like the orange/green stripe vans are the best way to get from Cancun to PDC. Is that right (we'll have some stuff, after a few weeks of business travel, but no dive gear :( ) and will those vans get us to playacar? will the BUS get us to playacar? apparently, there's no hotel shuttle at HVR, and a taxi is like $75, right?

Can you guys recommend anyone to dive with in the area? Preferably who can hook me up with a pickup at the hotel in the AM? or is it close enough to walk to the docks? sealifedivers.com looks interesting, but pricey. i'd like to do two a day for five days, fingers crossed.

and i'll troll the boards, but any great, cheap places to hang out with interesting people would be appreciated. off the beaten path, please. i don't like tourists! :wink:

thanks all for your help

see you on the bottom!

-my name is mud

Hola Mud! I run a boat from Playa which never has more than 1 or 2 people on it. I am located one block north of the ferry pier on the beach. I AM the smallest outfit in Playa! And from your hotel it's a ten minute walk or a two minute taxi ride. PM if you have any specific questions. :wink:

the post this referenced was removed...

I just returned from a week in PDC and did 3 days of diving through Jason, an excellent experience that I hope to repeat soon! Highly recommended! :D

From the airport to Playacar (Riu Palace RM) I hooked up with this guy who's got a company that does airport shuttles. It was $100 round trip but it was private so it's direct to your place ONLY which can cut a fair bit of time out of the whole thing! GERARDO BARRAGAN FIGUEROA [barragan777mx@yahoo.com] - We're using him again in May when we come back with about 6-8 people.

Speaking of repeating using someone who gave great service - I also dove w/ Jason when we were there last and loved it. If all Dive Ops were like his you'd never have to troll these boards for dive op opinions! Unfortunately guys like him are few and far between. I'm doing at least 3 more days of diving when we're back in May.

From the airport to Playacar (Riu Palace RM) I hooked up with this guy who's got a company that does airport shuttles. It was $100 round trip but it was private so it's direct to your place ONLY which can cut a fair bit of time out of the whole thing! GERARDO BARRAGAN FIGUEROA [barragan777mx@yahoo.com] - We're using him again in May when we come back with about 6-8 people.

Speaking of repeating using someone who gave great service - I also dove w/ Jason when we were there last and loved it. If all Dive Ops were like his you'd never have to troll these boards for dive op opinions! Unfortunately guys like him are few and far between. I'm doing at least 3 more days of diving when we're back in May.
Thanks! We'll be looking to get from PDC after Cenote diving to Holbox, then back to Cancun airport. Probly rent a car, but I just email him to inquire....
Subj: Transportation from Playa del Carem to Holbox

Two divers with lots of gear - 4-60# bags; 2 roll-on; 2 back-packs.

We will dive Cenotes at Talum one day this summer, then need a ride from PDC to Holbox.

3 days later, we will need a morning ride to Cancun airport.

Can you handle this? Please tell us cost, vehicle info and other info.

Additionally, I would prefer a direct route, not by way of Cancun, with some degree of road-side sight-seeing, but no tour stops. Would this be possible in the afternoon trip - and extra...??

Hey all
It seems like the orange/green stripe vans are the best way to get from Cancun to PDC. Is that right (we'll have some stuff, after a few weeks of business travel, but no dive gear :( ) and will those vans get us to playacar? will the BUS get us to playacar? apparently, there's no hotel shuttle at HVR, and a taxi is like $75, right?

Can you guys recommend anyone to dive with in the area? Preferably who can hook me up with a pickup at the hotel in the AM? or is it close enough to walk to the docks? sealifedivers.com looks interesting, but pricey. i'd like to do two a day for five days, fingers crossed.

A private van will get you right to your door for about $75. The bus is $8 or $9 per person. The bus will drop you at the bus station on 5th. A short walk to your hotel but depending on what you are carrying probably not a fun walk. There will be taxi's there than can get you to your hotel for a few bucks.

I dove with Sealife in 06. They are an ok bunch but two of the dive days I was grouped with Discover Divers and while it didn't affect my diving much it did cause my SI to be over two hours both days. I had plans both afternoons and was late getting back to my group to do other activities. Plus they were pretty disorganized. However they were working out of a temporary shop at the time so that was probably why.

Last year I dove with Jason(Playacountryboy) and will so again this year, bringing down more divers than he can handle!!!

Also Sealife operates out of Mamita's which is for sure a cab ride from your hotel. I walked from Playacar every day last year to Jason's shop and it was a very nice morning walk. I look forward to that walk again this year.

I HATE mornings but there's something about getting up early and walking down 5th at 8am to go diving that I love.

Enjoy your Playa trip! I've still got 4 months to go! Unless I sneak down earlier for a few days...

Clint

barragan777mx@yahoo.com was prompt and courteous, but the prices were odd? PDC to Holbox, or Holbox to Cancun - same price? $170 each way car, $200 Van.

We'll rent and drive for $300...

I'll also recommend diving with Jason. I believe he can also hook you up with rooms.

Back
Top Bottom