Cozumel, Akumal, Dive cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idahojoec

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I may be crazy but I figure this is the best place to find out. I am looking for some feedback.

I am planning a 2 week trip to the Yucatan next summer with my family. Money is a issue but this is a big trip to celebrate kids college graduation. We were looking at the things to do as a family, snorkeling, ruins, etc. Planning the "trip of a lifetime" sort of thing. My wife and I are both certified as basic open water divers but it has been a while. I was thinking it is too bad we will be in or very close to Cozumel and not get a dive in, but what will the kids do while we are diving, plus we would need a refresher course.

I started looking into refresher courses and then a crazy idea hit me. Why not have the 4 kids earn their open water certification? I figure the wife and I can take a refresher and then go along on the open water dives. We are not looking for anything challenging or technical just a fun experience for the family. If the kids love it they can pursue the sport. It would be a big expense but I hope it will be a vacation they will always remember for all the right reasons.

I saw a few 4 - 5 day programs that look interesting with 4 or so open water dives. We are not sure if we will stay in Cozumel, Akumal, or somewhere else (trying to avoid Cancun but rooms are cheaper up there, still looking). Oh I guess I should mention that the kids range in age from 17 - 23.

Here are my questions:
1) Is this just a crazy idea?
2) The Padi certification will not make them great divers but it is a start. I assume it will be safe relative to any other Padi program (assuming a good instructor). Am I wrong?
3) Can anyone recommend a good shop / instructor?
4) I don't have time to interview a bunch of instructors so recommendations are important. How would I know a good shop? Any tips to qualify the program from afar?
5) I will try to get accommodations for 6 "adults" near the shop, budget is an issue. Is it better to try Akumal, Cozumel, or somewhere else? Cancun? Puerto Morales? I am wide open. Would like somewhere we can get affordable meals and enjoy the town a bit without renting a car if possible.
6) Do you think I could work a "volume" deal or do they get plenty of business and perhaps don't want to mess with 2 rusty recreational divers and 4 newbies?
7)Any other advice, or suggestions? (I'll accept psychiatric referrals, and bankruptcy referrals also)

Thank you so much for any help, feedback, or suggestions.
Joe

it's a great idea and no open water cert will make anyone a great diver. therefore, PADI, SSI, NAUI... does not matter. it's all about the instructor not the agency. for certification and newbies the mainland may be a better option than cozumel because while Coz has strong currents, the mainland diving does not. you can get excellent instruction at aquanauts in puerto aventuras. you'll find plenty of raves about them on this board. i happen to rent a condo on the beach and near the shop that sleeps 6. feel free to contact me about pricing if you are interested. in general, prices in the summer are fairly low. however, puerto aventuras is not the cheapest option on the mainland when it comes to accomodations. in general, it's a little more upscale. it's a small town with some shops, a dozen restaurants and the dolphin discovery. Akumal is charming but there is no town to speak of. Cozumel is a cruise ship town with its pros and cons. puerto morelos may be nice (i have not spend any time there) but many attractions (Tulum, cenotes, xel ha, Coba...) are farther south. Therefore, I find Puerto Aventuras and Akumal are better bases for exploration. on the mainland, I think you should rent a car, especially since you mention ruins, snorkeling etc. It'll probably save you money in the end and you get to see so much more.

we have been to mexico over 25 times and found playa del carmen to to meet our needs. while in playa we stay at hotel mimi del mar and dive with playascuba.com ,they will meet all your diving needs . for more info on the area check out locogringo.com and get a map from cancunmap.com . sounds like fun.

Hey Joe,
So much to say, I have sent you a private message to share my thoughts with you!! I second the Playa suggestion though. You are centrally located, have a million eating and sleeping options, and easy transportation to everything you could possibly want to do!
See you soon!!

Doc, Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear I was not making a comment on Padi certification as I agree certification from anyone is just a beginning. I see it like a 16 year old getting their drivers license. It does not make them a good driver (despite what they think), it just gives them the right to more practice to become a better more experienced driver. The Padi cert., like any certification will just give them a start if they wanted to continue.

Thank you all for your advice. I will look at all the recommendations. I still have a year to work out the details but as you can tell I like to do my research and planning.

Sounds like mainland is the way to go. Please keep the suggestions and recommendations coming.

Joe

I agree with the Puerto Aventuras recommendation. We have been going there in December for the past five years or so, renting one of the condos, and diving with Dive Aventuras. Although we do not necessarily agree with the concept behind dolphin prisons, there is one there, and it is a distraction for kids. Plus, the accessibility to such Mayan sites as Coba and Tulum, plus just up the road the attraction at Xcaret, really make PA a great base to work from. And if the kids do really well, have the dive shop take them to a cenote!

Good Luck and have fun, sounds like you will have a great time, being with your family in that kind of an environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom