Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Sleeping Shark Cave - Isla Mujeres

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999

Sleeping Shark Cave - Isla Mujeres

We have been down diving for a few weeks and have dove Sleeping Shark Cave probably 50 times over the last 6 years. Sometimes there might be a nurse shark but never any real sharks. 3 Days ago we dove there and there was a big bull shark "sleeping" in the cave, maybe 9 foot long. I swam up, within a few feet, he looked at me, turned and swam away. It was pretty cool. I did not have my camera.
    We have also done so many night dives here and we always go to Manchones in the national park. Nice dive, 30 feet max. I talked my buddy into taking us on a night dive to Sleeping Shark Cave. We found a few nurse sharks, but no Bull shark. It was a awesome dive, big turtles, tons of fish, so many star fish and worms swimming around. I had my camera and will post some photos later.
    Going to Arrowsmith on Friday. 26 miles out in the open ocean. I will report later.
    Got go diving again in a hour, life is rough........I love diving.

Scuba Instructor

52 days 'til Isla

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

Bull Shark

Hey Kev,

I am still mad about the great diving you're getting in. Will check it out in Nov. but will bring my camera. Too bad you guys won't be there, but there is always x-mas.

S
    “Buoyed by water, he can fly in any direction-up, down, sideways-by merely flipping his hand. Under water, man becomes an archangel.”
    " Jacques Cousteau"

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

I made that dive many years ago & there were many sharks, mostly Nurse, there then . I understand that few are seen there, now. Maybe it's hype as a great dive drove them away.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    We are going to Cancun for Thanksgiving. The dive ops I spoke with all said November was just about when the bulls showed up. They offered it unsolicited when I asked about a shark dive.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Thanks for you post!! its great to hear there are still occasional sightings of sharks around the area. I saw a big black tip about a week ago just north of Puerto Morelos, totally unexpected! its rare these days and we dont even mention sharks in our dive breifings anymore....
    When will Shark week on discovery channel stop exploiting the sharks, Bulls in particular as man eaters and show them for what they really are and what humans are doing to them?? Beautiful, graceful & apex animals been slaughtered and finned by the millions every year!!
    Enjoy Arrowsmith & be careful with that wild current!

Noobasaurus Rex

Go Red - Support SB!

Counting the days till our
    next dive trip...

Dives
    200 - 499
    I had been told that the Sleeping Shark Cave had been severely damaged by a hurricaine some years ago, and that because of this there were far fewer sharks actually using it. Perhaps this is why you've seen so few?
    I used to have money. Now I go diving.

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    The reason there are so few sharks is because of fishermen and long lines, just like every where else in the world. I have seen video from 30 years ago, shot by Ramon Bravo, a legend on Isla. There were Tiger sharks in the cave back then. My friends have told me the use to be tiger, hammerhead and bull near the island, no more , you are lucky to see just nurse sharks. I have seen fishermen come in with over 20 big sharks in their boat. The rate we (man) are going there will not be much left for us (divers) to see in the oceans, kind of sad.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

If you are not aware of the shark finning industry and believe what Discovery Channel tells you on Shark Week,watch the documentry ´Shark Water´. Its on youtube.