Going to PDC (Playa Del Carmen) later this month - Need some tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadoober

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the awesome help I got in my previous thread, I took your advice and booked a trip for 9 nights in Mid-late January. My wife and I are staying at the Riu Palace Mexico in PDC. I could use some advice on these few questions:

1.) What's the most cost effective way for me to get shuttled to the Resort from the Cancun airport and then from the resort back to the airport when we leave? (Orbitz offered to charge me $120 round-trip for this service when I booked online, I declined since that seems just a little high :))

2.) I want to dive in in the area for 1 or 2 days....maybe even 3 if the deal is compelling. I know Cozumel is really close by to PDC. So I want to dive there at least 1 day. Which dive operations would you recommend? Who is the best value?

I may have more questions later. But would greatly appreciate advice on these two. Thanks again for all your generosity in helping! :)

$120 sounds about right--that's what Protec quoted me for my upcoming visit in March.

USA transfers charges $105 return for up to 3 people and $120 for up to 7 people. We have used them before and were happy with them.

The most cost effective way will be to take the ADO bus from the airport to PDC. Buy your tickets for the bus after you have passed through customs. Nice bus's btw. From the bus station walk around the corner to the taxi stand. Total should run you $30-35US depending on the taxi.

For the return trip, there are a lot of transfer outfits that will get you there for $20-30US pp. Beats dead heading back to the airport and they figure you have already spent most of your money.

$60pp/rt for a transfer is not that bad and will save you a lot of hassles. For my money it is worth it.

Door to door shuttle may be your best bet. For two people, a taxi may be just as good. Using the bus is slightly more economical, however, you'll need a taxi from/to the bus station. If your resort is in the Playacar area, that would be about $8-10 each way.

As for diving in Coz, you can save travel expenses by looking for dive shops in the downtown area. In other words, walking distance from the pier. Also, I would suggest if you go to Coz, combine it with sight seeing time there.

Det

I would recommend Tank-Ha in PDC (if they are still there, it was a while ago)

Also, when you get off the plane at Cancun - walk straight through the terminal and out of the front door without stopping or allowing anyone to take your bags.

I was there a couple of months back and the scamming has got worse. You will be greeted by what looks like a tour rep who is actually just trying to sign you up for a time share tour. This continued even with our own rep at our own hotel when we got to Puerto Aventuras.

Get the Orbitz xfer, find out which company is actually running it and ask them to meet you at the gate.

The most cost effective way will be to take the ADO bus from the airport to PDC. Buy your tickets for the bus after you have passed through customs. Nice bus's btw. From the bus station walk around the corner to the taxi stand. Total should run you $30-35US depending on the taxi.

For the return trip, there are a lot of transfer outfits that will get you there for $20-30US pp. Beats dead heading back to the airport and they figure you have already spent most of your money.

$60pp/rt for a transfer is not that bad and will save you a lot of hassles. For my money it is worth it.

Ok, so I would take the ADO bus from the airport to PDC, then after getting off the bus in PDC, I would walk around the corner to the taxi stand and take a taxi to my hotel. Is that correct? And the total for the bus + taxi would be approx $30-35US, is the correct?

Door to door shuttle may be your best bet. For two people, a taxi may be just as good. Using the bus is slightly more economical, however, you'll need a taxi from/to the bus station. If your resort is in the Playacar area, that would be about $8-10 each way.

As for diving in Coz, you can save travel expenses by looking for dive shops in the downtown area. In other words, walking distance from the pier. Also, I would suggest if you go to Coz, combine it with sight seeing time there.

Det

So you're saying the taxi would be aprroximately $8-10 from the PDC bus station to our resort?

Ditto on Tank Ha AND walking determinedly through the airport.

2.) I want to dive in in the area for 1 or 2 days....maybe even 3 if the deal is compelling. I know Cozumel is really close by to PDC. So I want to dive there at least 1 day. Which dive operations would you recommend? Who is the best value?

Hi Scubadoober,

Check out TANKHA Dive Center - Home, Dive Center Cyan Ha, Playa del Carmen's original PADI dive shop, scuba diving, cenoten diving, snorkeling and watersports Playa del Carmen Mexico and Dive Aventuras Mexico scuba diving vacation packages Puerto Aventuras.

Have fun.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom