Scuba at the Sirenis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, all:

My wife and I will be at the sirenis in August and I wondered if anyone could give us information on the on-site dive operation (prices with our own equipment, whether they let you dive your computer rather than rigidly timing dives, etc.), and preferably a website. We'll also be at the Palladium, and I have the website of the on-site operation there, but would be interested in hearing any experiences with them. Our default option is Blue Caribe Divers, whom we liked very much when we dove with them last year, but they dive out of Akumal, which means they have to pick you up and drop you off at your resort, so an on-site operation would be more convenient.

Thanks for any info!

I stayed at the Grand Sirenis (Mayan) a couple years ago and did 6 dives with them. It is a large resort so lugging your gear to and from your room is a real PITA. Two of the three mornings we got picked up by a passing golf cart but every return we were promised a pick up and not once did they show up. The operation was good from what I recall even if the diving was so-so at best IMO. Pricing......I cannot recall. I do not recall the dives being cut short however it was "pack" diving so I do not know how they would take to an individual long dive profile.

The Sirenis is great and I would love to go back but next time I am not taking gear (even if it means no diving).......just not fun the way it is laid out and I am not a trusting individual to leave my gear in a communal room.

EDIT

http://maps.google.ca/?ll=20.428139,-87.294542&spn=0.005841,0.006899&t=h&z=17

The dive shop is the building closest to the southern tip of the little bay.....we were on the other side of the circle.

FWIW, we went with a couple nose breathers and therefore snorkeled a couple of days.......the snorkeling was great outside of the roped off swim area and there were tons of turtles in Akumal.

Thanks, Scuba Steve, that's useful. We were at the Sirenis last year (but diving with Blue Caribe), and I know what you mean that it would be PITA to have to haul your equipment around. From what you say, sounds like the dives were kind of cattle-car-ish. The dives with Blue Caribe were generally just 3 - 4 divers, so maybe we'll just suck up the drive to Akumal beach where they launch and keep diving with them. I agree that there was nice snorkelling beyond the safety ropes. When I snorkeled out there in slightly rough seas, they sent a guy out on the rocks to tell me to come back. I tried to ignore him, but his whistling finally got irritating, so I stared yelling back at him. He finally brought t his manager out to the rocks, and he laid off after I gave him my room number and assued him I wouldn't hold them responsible. I wonder if they'll do the same thing this year when we return!

There were only 4 divers/guests on our boats (with room for more) but the dives were DM led and it was as a group. So, it was not cattle car-ish but it could have been. Like I said, the Dive Op employees were great there. I would suggest giving them a shot for at least one day (assuming costs are similar to in Akumal) just to see. I am sure you'll hit the same sites so I would expect it would only differ by people/cost/service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom