Baja in August, La Paz, Cabo Plumo or Los Cabos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paolino

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My teenage son and I are going to Baja the second weekend in August and trying to decide where to go.

Cabo Plumo sounds great for snorkeling but not sure it is better than spots off of La Paz or San Jose. Los Islotes would be fun since my son really likes sea lions. El Bajo sounds great but we might be a bit early for the big fish especially hammerheads. Las Reinas sounds like it might have challenging currents at times.

We are experienced but casual divers, not advanced. We would also like to do one night dive.

Any recommendations for dive sites and dive operators would be greatly appreciated.

Happy diving! Stefano

I lived in Cabo for six months and went diving with a couple of the shops in San Lucas. I would recommend Nautilus Dive Tech - Untitled Document I did a bunch of diving with them, including a night dive and a nitrox course. All of the instructors were really great.

San Lucas has some really great dive sites within two minutes from the marina. There´s some great things to be seen. There are also a whole other group of dive sites about thirty minutes away which shops will go to if you arrange things with them before hand, and depending on the time of year you go, you can also still dive at Cabo Pulmo if you really want. But even if you dive the local sites for a few days, you´ll enjoy.

I wasn´t able to make it out to Cabo Pulmo or La Paz, so can´t really give you any sort of comp

Hope you have a good trip!

Hello from Cabo,Your correct on you post the only thing I could add is the best Night Dive would be in Cabo. There is also a big Sea Lions Colony at Lands End this Dive is only 60 feet and you also get to see the ship wreck and Last Rock all on the same tank.
I like the Diving here because you have every thing within 10 min.s of the Dock tons and tons of Tropical Fish and a Whale Shark last week was cool.
So all you need is 1/2 Day to do two tanks back at 12:30 and off the the beach or other activitys.
We have big boat and 20 years experence in Baja.
Thanks
Dee

Back
Top Bottom