Whale Sharks, Isla Mujeres, Mexico / July 31st - Aug 2nd 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fabgo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have booked a boat with for three days (July 31st - Aug 2nd) to go snorkeling with Whale Sharks. This is a solid 34' boat with a top notch operator (Keen M) operating out of Isla Mujeres. I booked the same boat last year with some friends and we had a fantastic trip. I've attached some photos below. You can see the boat in the 2nd photo.

I am going back again this year with my girlfriend. So far it's only the two of us, but I'd like to find at least a couple more people to share the cost. This is not a commercial trip. I am not looking to make any profit, just share the cost. If we are four people the cost will come to roughly $800 per person for the boat, including crew, fuel, lunch, snacks and drinks, tip included - less if we get more people. Flights to Cancun, ground transportation, hotel & meals will be extra. Hotel rooms start at about $80-90/night, and meals are not expensive. I can help with travel plans as I was just there last year. Cozumel is nearby if you want to extend the trip to do some diving there.

The whale shark aggregation in the ocean outside Isla Mujeres is the largest in the world, and they concentrate in a small area. There are literally hundreds of sharks at times. Part of the goal of having our own boat is to get an early start in the morning (get up at 6AM, be at the boat by 6:30AM, leave at 7:00AM sharp) with an experienced crew that can guide us quickly to the sharks before the mob gets there later in the day (up to 40-50 boats will be in the area by 11:00AM). It's an excellent setup for underwater photography - though no flash photography is allowed. The rules also require wearing a wet suit, although a shorty is fine.

About us: we're both nice, friendly, easy-going people. We're both in high tech, working for a San Francisco startup.

PM me if you are interested or have questions about this trip.

- Fabian

_1010841.jpg_1030808.jpg_1020589.jpg_1030121.jpg_1030714.jpg_1030777.jpg

Is a wet suit shirt too "short"? My wife and I may be interested. I wear a wet suit shirt. Hate the rest (registered warm water wuss).

$800 per person??? Just to arrive a bit earlier at the site? Is thst correct?

Is a wet suit shirt too "short"? My wife and I may be interested. I wear a wet suit shirt. Hate the rest (registered warm water wuss).

No, at least a short wetsuit is required. No shirts only. I checked. It's part of the rules & regulations for the site.

---------- Post added June 21st, 2013 at 01:37 PM ----------

$800 per person??? Just to arrive a bit earlier at the site? Is thst correct?

$800 per person for three days, so $266/day. Having been there last year, I can assure you the first couple of hours are crucial and make a big difference. The other advantage of having our own boat is of course much more time in the water, all with a very professional crew.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Thought that was for one trip. Friends of mine went last July and pics are amazing and a must do for me. The timing of your trip doesn't work for me tho'. Hope you find some others to join you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom