Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: New to sport looking for Instructor.

New User

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24

New to sport looking for Instructor.

I am new to the sport. I am looking for an unbiased recommendation for an instructor in the San Antonio / New Braunfels area. Please help.

PS I have read: What to Consider as a New Student to Diving

rg

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    I don't know anyone in San Antonio, but check out http://www.sanantonioscubadivers.com/
    Danny
    www.lonestardiver.com

Continue your diving experiences. Join the Diving Rebels Scuba Club

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Best way to find an instructor, is to go and talk to them. Try to get a sense about them, and the way they might teach.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000+
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by rgage
    I am new to the sport. I am looking for an unbiased recommendation for an instructor in the San Antonio / New Braunfels area. Please help. PS I have read: What to Consider as a New Student to Diving rg
    Congratulations. . . you're studying this before spending your money. Check out any local dive shops and then plan a weekend trip to another diver area. What you want is exposure to as many divers as possible before spring. The process of becoming a diver is not over when you get your card. Visit area dive shops on weekends so that you meet their custormers, the divers. WE Don't Bite. The best education in diving, is diving. If you never meet other divers, the odds are you will drop diving quickly. If you meet divers in other parts of Texas. . . you'll have invitations to dive all over Texas. If you dive all the choices in Texas, fresh and salt water dives, You'll learn more skills than you will learn in anybody's class, and you'll meet people who will help you dive more often.

I don't know the distance to San Marcos, but there is a popular river there with good visibility. There will be divers and snorkelers there even now. Visit with them, join them in the future and make friends with those you meet. The divers are floating with the current, so join them where they exit and give them a ride back to their cars at the starting point. . . Help them and they will help you. You won't have to wait for certification, to meet divers, Go out each weekend even if it is cold and see where local divers are going, and meet as many divers as you can.

New User

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    mudhole. great advise thank you!