Looking for OW instructor Kihei area for a child

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rakdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I am looking for a Kihei area instructor with solid experience working with kids to handle private ocean dive OW section for a 10 year old. Doing the classroom and pool work at my local shop, but want the ocean section to be warm clear water. All recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

When? I'll be on vacation there in late July.

More seriously, I don't know a specific instructor I'd recommend, and I'm generally speaking out of ignorance, but hey, that's what the internet is for, right?

Maui Dive Shop seems to have the largest footprint in Kihei, and they're good folks. I don't dive with them because I prefer smaller boats, but the conversations I've had with their staff suggest they put safety over profit margin. (E.g., they won't sell full face mask/snorkel rigs.) From their website, it looks like they run "Bubblemaker" programs for younger kids, so I imagine they'd have folks who work with that age group pretty routinely.

I also have had a really positive experience with Maui Dreams. It had to do with a minor equipment repair, but they were both realistic in what they couldn't do (their certified tech had managed to break BOTH arms) but willing to turn a blind eye and let me "find" the tool I needed to do the repair myself. I suspect they'd honestly assess whether they had staff who would suit you, and they'd tell you if they didn't have what you're looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom