Predive Gear check list, please add.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We did one of these a year ago, but I can't find it. Spectrum added some great tips too...

1. Manually inflate the BC till it is full. Listen for leaks. Common places are the dump valves and inflator hose elbow. Tighten the valves and elbow until leak stop.

2. Check dump valve for function, examine valve cord for knots, tears, etc.

3. Before putting BC on tank, check the O ring on the valve orifice. If it is damaged, flat, cut, etc; request a new tank or replace the O ring yourself. After rigging the tank up, power inflate to make sure that your BC is attached to the tank properly. It is much harder to reattach the inflator hose once pressurized, especially if you have weak hands. I like to leave my BC full for a few minutes to make sure it doesn't have a slow leak that I did not hear. Some like to inflate maximally until the over pressure relief valve leaks, to make sure that a stuck inflator valve does not blow your BC.

4. Examine the regulator set up to make sure that is in in good repair. Tighten the regulator cap if it is the round type. Make sure that your regulators are not too loose at the attachments to the hose. Examine the first stage and note if excessive corrosion might be present. Check hoses for cracks and leaks, especially at hose endings. Pull back hose protector to check, area likely to fail is next to the first stage and under the hose protector.

5. Examine the mouth piece and tug on the tab lightly to examine for cracks, rips, and invisible defects that is not seen without stretching them. This is a common defect seen in rental regs.

6. Pressurize your regs, and take several breath from both. Push the purge button once or twice, to make sure they don't stick (some of the small plastic diaphram sticks if not assembled properly). Some say this is to check and make sure that your reg is adjusted properly, and you don't need excessive force or range of motion to open the purge. Smell the air during the purge, to make sure it doesn't smell bad. Some say to exhale first to blow out cruds before you inhale from your reg. Some say look at the SPG while you breath. Swings in your pressure gauge suggests a problem with your tank valve or first stage. Check and make sure valve fully opened if pressure gauge swings with each breath.

7. Shut the air off and breath the remaining air from both your regs. A good vacumm should form, and very little leakage should be noted. If it leaks too much, it will need servicing, and you might have a wet salty breathing reg.

8. Before you jump in, make sure that your weight pockets are right side up, your weight belt is on, BC pockets zippered, and BC inflated. To prevent tank from coming loose under water, especially if you have only one tank strap on your BC - Wet the tank strap first, place it tightly on your tank. Before you dive, undo the buckle and tighten the strap again. A dry tank strap will come loose once get wet. So this will assure that your strap is as tight as possible before you dive.

9. Before you jump in, self check and make sure your tank valve is fully opened, or ask your buddy to check it for you. Check and make sure your weight belt is on before you jump in. Make sure your octo is secured in an accessible site. Secure your SPG under your waist strap or cumberbund, or with a clip.

10. If diving dry, check your drysuit inflator valve to make sure it's working, and check the exhaust valve to make sure it's open.

11. Immediately after, or just before submerging, check your buddy's gear for properfunctioning, or any abnormal bubbles from anywhere (drysuit, BC inflator, regs, etc.)

12. If night diving, recheck your primary and back up lights under the water. If they don't work, they might be flooded. Abort the dive if you do not have 2 working lights.

13. Be aware of your buddy's and your own gear configuration, location of Octo (on hose or on inflator), location and type of weight system/belt - just in case you might have to do out of air drill, or surface rescue. Be aware of the location of your knife, scissor, back up lights, etc, so you don't panic when you need them.

I'll add a few...

On step 3, inflate until the OPV auto-dumps. You want to make sure this works so if the inflator sticks your bladder doesn't go boom.

Step 4- inspect each of your LP and HP hoses for cracks or wear. If you have hose protectors, pull them back and check the hose ends.

Step 6- Smell it before you breathe it, make sure there aren't any obvious signs of bad air. Also, look at your SPG while you are doing test breathes, make sure you don't see any swings in pressure as you breathe as this would indicate an issue w/ your tank valve (either not open all the way or malfunctioning).

I would add a step 9- once you splash you and your buddy should do a full bubble check at a shallow depth. Make sure you can deploy all your gear easily. Then go dive.

If using singles wet the strap before putting the tank on the bc. Tighten let set a few seconds and take out the slack. Will keep tank from slipping during the dive.

Make sure all hoses, guages, lights, reels, etc are secured and not dangling. Preserves the gear and the bottom and insures you don't get hung up on anything. Saw a person get ready to stand up on a boat to get in the water and his console was stuck in the bench. His buddy caught it but it could have been a very bad day for him if he'd ripped the guages off.

When checking your regs be sure to EXHALE into them before taking a greath. THis will insure the exhaust diaphragm is clear and also insure you don't inhale anything that may have crawled into the reg overnight. I can't count the number of times I've seen people just pick up the reg without purging it and inhale right off the bat.

Does any one do the cracking pressure test? I've never done it. But I was told it should take about 2 cm or less of water pressure to crack the second stage.

As I understand, you can tell just from breathing the reg if you are knowledgeable. If not, you can invert the reg with the mouth piece upward. You submerge the reg into a bowl or bucket of water, and the reg should crack and release air before the mouthpiece is submerged (probably about 2 to 3 cm of water pressure. If it doesn't crack at all, you might have a badly tuned regulator which will breath hard.

I guess if you are obsessive compulsive enough, you would carry an inexpensive pressure gauge to check your first stage function too. Does any one do this?

If using singles wet the strap before putting the tank on the bc. Tighten let set a few seconds and take out the slack. Will keep tank from slipping during the dive.

That is a great idea. I haven't had problem since I started using double tank strap. This is especially important if you have those pretty tank protector netting.

I would add;
- BC pockets zipped. It's no fun chasing what was once inside your pockets.
- Weight pockets installed right side up. Not dangerous, at least with my BC, but it just screams to everyone, "Don't get too close or I'll take you with me!"
- Oh, and don't turn loose of your rig when it's standing up on a picnic table. (I'd rather not go into it.)

Jim

Have you heard of this nmeonic: Begin with review and friend. Supposedly in the PADI training somewhere:

B - Begin - BCD
Check function of BCD. Operate inflator and deflator to ensure that BCD can accept and release air. Test oral inflator. Operate all dumps to check that air can be dumped quickly. Ensure straps (shoulder straps, cummerbund) have no slack, and are lying flat.
W - With - Weights
If a weight belt is worn, check that the belt is secure, and the strap arranged so that it can be released with the right hand of the diver. Ensure that weights on the belt are not likely to shift during movement, and are suitable for the diver. If a weight harness is worn, or the BCD possesses an integrated-weights system, test system for adequate operation. A secondary aim is to ensure that the buddy is familiar with the weight system of the diver being checked, and is able to operate them in an emergency
R - Review - Regulator
Test operation of primary and secondary regulators. Both should breathe comfortably, and not 'free-flow' when purged. Check hoses for damage. Ensure that the secondary regulator (the 'octopus') is attached in the triangle between the chin and the base of the ribs, and can be released easily: this ensures easy access for a buddy in the event of an emergency.
A - And - Air Open air valve on tank. Most divers then close the tank a quarter turn for an added element of safety. Breathe the air through the regulators to ensure that it is fresh and dry: impure air is extremely dangerous underwater, but can usually be recognised through an unpleasant, often oily, taste or smell.
F - Friend - Final Check
Conduct a final check of the diver. Ensure that hoses are clipped to the diver neatly, and are in the correct configuration. Make sure the diver has fins and a mask, and any other accessories (cameras, reels, knife, compass, torch etc.) needed for the dive. Check that these are secured to the diver, or else placed in a spot where they can be handed down once the diver is in the water. Correct anything else that needs doing.

"The PADI mnemonic (Begin with Review and Friend) is the standard one taught by the agency, but many divers have their own; Burger with Relish and Fries is one of the more popular. Bangkok Women Really Are Fellas is a Ko Tao favourite."

Big
Women
Are
Really
Fun
:gorgeous:

4.1 Check the O ring and feel the metal along the inside of the O ring seat.
I did up my rig and was collecting my other gear when my buddy noticed a hissing noise from my first stage. A nick in the O ring seat was slowly leaking. Maybe not critical in 30 feet, but it would at least run out my air sooner than my buddy.

If diving dry, check your drysuit inflator valve to make sure it's working, and check the exhaust valve to make sure it's open.

Confirm that any safety gear the team wants (eg. DiveAlerts, SMBs, mirrors, whistles or whatever) are with you, and where they are stowed.

Before submerging, or shortly thereafter, do a quick inspection of each team member to look for any abnormal bubbles.

For night diving, before submerging, check primary AND backup lights in the water. (If only checked on land, you don't know if one has flooded.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom