What else to buy when buying a regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gotten wise advise, specially when it comes to the regulator I was considering picking. Thanks everyone.

I've reconsidered the Apeks in favor of one of the two DGX-branded reg packages: D6 or the XTRA. I'm not sure which, yet.

Many reasons why.
  • I'm not diving in cold water.
  • This will be my first regulator. So, I don't have much experience around regulators. Therefore, there's a lot of knowledge to gain over the years when it comes to regs. In the future, I'll be able to pick another reg based on that knowledge and whichever type of diving I'll be making then.
  • It seems like no one really buys their first and last regulator. And based on what I've seen in ScubaBoard, everyone has like a dozen regs around. I'd be fooling myself if I keep thinking the Apeks will be my only one.
  • Money. I will be saving between $630-$730. That's a lot of dives, training, travel, gear, etc. I'll be better off spending in buying experience than buying (expensive) gear.
I'm not considering the DiveRite packages because, but like I said, I'm going to favor experience over gear. But, if you strongly feel I should, I'll hear you out.

So, which one should I pick? The DGX D6, or the DGX XTRA?

I'm inclining towards the XTRA. It's $100 more than the D6, but per DGX's description, I'll be able to dive cold waters or (extreme) deep if I decide to.

The only very minor concern I have is that it doesn't have a venturi switch. That said, I've only dived rental gear without it and I've never have had any issues with free flows. Should I care about that enough to go with the D6?

Also, if you have first-hand experience with both of these regs, I'd love to read how you compare them.

One thing to think about regardless of the brand is where are you going to get them serviced today and tomorrow? While you can currently get service kits, who is going to do the service work??

One thing to think about regardless of the brand is where are you going to get them serviced today and tomorrow? While you can currently get service kits, who is going to do the service work??
I'm thinking of mailing everything to DGX every two years.

Just did a search on the US sites, and this looks a bargain:
Yep. I have the BP/W kit. Now I'm searching for the regs.

This review speaks highly of the DGX XTRA. DGX Gears XTRA Regulator Review

It mentions that the regulator doesn't free flow easily in cold water. If it does, simply turning the mouthpiece down stopped the freeflow. So it sounds like not having the venturi switch is not a big deal.

I am a new diver, certified last spring and live in Florida. Like you I don't plan on diving cold water. My LDS suggested I get a ScubaPro a MK11, c370, R95 + an SPG which I did. The MK11 is great for warm water divers and the c370 breathes well. ScubaPro regs are easy to get serviced and the service interval is 2 years for most folks.

My LDS was kind enough to clean/fix my octo for free after I dragged it though the mud in Alexander Springs, then failed to clean it properly causing a free flow on my next dive. Buying your regs from your LDS has benefits you may not have thought about. Your LDS should have equipment that works well for your conditions and is convenient to get serviced.

I'm thinking of mailing everything to DGX every two years.
Or take Doc Rob's Scuba Regulator Tech course online. Worth it. They are no where near as complex as your LDS would have you believe. You just have to be very exacting.

So it sounds like not having the venturi switch is not a big deal.

The green line encircles the Venturi Lever with +/- molded on stage body.
1704420973219.png

The green line encircles the Venturi Lever with +/- molded on stage body.
A-ha! The description made it clear the D6 had it, but it wasn’t clear for the XTRA. I also missed it in the pics. Thanks for pointing it out!

So that settles it. I’m getting the XTRA. Thank you all!

I used to travel with my bpw and sealed long hose reg. No issue there.

Get a set of scissors as the pouch is perfect for taming the long hose if you don't have a can light.

Make sure you pratice OOG drills with the long hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom