Miflex and Air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masterof0

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Zeagle Ranger with an Air 2 (Octo Z) and interested in converting to the Miflex hoses. The problem is that the standard inflater coupler is a different coupler than the Air2 coupler. Will there be any impact to performance if I use the adapter or am I better off just sticking with the rubber hose that came with my Air2? Are there any other options?

The air2 QD fitting actually screws onto a standard second stage hose. If you want a miflex hose for your air2 get a 28" reg hose, unscew the fitting from your rubber air2 hose and put it on the miflex.

I would not under any circumstance use an adapter to connect a standard inflator hose to an air2, they do not provide an adequate flow rate for breathing.

I use the screw on one... works as well as the standard, non removable fitting ones...like the hoses, by the way... have bright blue, yellow and black ones....

The air2 QD fitting actually screws onto a standard second stage hose. If you want a miflex hose for your air2 get a 28" reg hose, unscew the fitting from your rubber air2 hose and put it on the miflex.

That is awesome. I never even looked close enough to realize that. Thanks for pointing it out

This is great news! I've been wanting to replace my inlfator hose but I thought I'd have to wait for an AIR II specific version of the Miflex hoses. Thanks for the info SteveAD!

I'm in the same boat as the OP, however I've already bought the Miflex hose and adapter. Before I ordered the reg hose I wanted to make sure I could unscrew the fitting from the rubber inflater hose - can't do it. I got it part of the way unscrewed but now it just spins and spins.

Also, can you help me understand why they'd sell the adapter if it didn't allow enough flow for breathing? Seems, uh, odd...

I'm in the same boat as the OP, however I've already bought the Miflex hose and adapter. Before I ordered the reg hose I wanted to make sure I could unscrew the fitting from the rubber inflater hose - can't do it. I got it part of the way unscrewed but now it just spins and spins.

Also, can you help me understand why they'd sell the adapter if it didn't allow enough flow for breathing? Seems, uh, odd...
It sounds like you tried to take the fitting off of a standard inflater hose and not a "high-flow" inflater hose that would come with a octo/inflater (which is really just a standard regulator hose + screw-on adapter, that's a shorter length). The standard inflater hose fitting, besides having a Schroeder valve, which restricts air flow. Also has a barbed nipple that goes down into the hose (which is why it is just spinning and not coming off). If you were to yank hard enough on the end of the fitting, the part would come out and you'd see what I mean. But, don't do it unless you have no further use for the hose. So, the differences between a standard inflater hose and a "high-flow" octo/inflater hose are:
1. The "high-flow" hose uses a valve on the end much like a air-tool compressor quick-disconnect that doesn't impede the air-flow like a Schroeder valve does.
2. The "high-flow" hose/fittings are pressure rated much higher than a standard inflater hose.
3. the fitting on a "high-flow" hose can usually be unscrewed and put on a Miflex regulator hose, while the fitting from a standard inflater hose can not.

I really can't answer the question of why they make a fitting to allow someone to use a standard inflater hose with a integrated octo/inflater.

The reason they make an adaptor for a standard LP inflator to AIRII and other integrated inflators is for testing on the service bench. It does allow enough air through to operate the inflator function and check for leaks etc.... but there is not nearly enough air flow (volume) through the schrader valve for breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom