Wetsuit cleaning and maint?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dstang65

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my cert and was wondering about the best solutions or soaps for wetsuits? I seem to notice with most things that the simplest mixes of things work best, but I'm not about to start pouring any old thing on my new $200 wetsuit. Any help is appreciated.

I've always used the wetsuit washes sold at any Dive Shop. They seem to remove any funk oders that seem to accumulate from the lake water. But if anyone has home remedies I would be interested in hearing about them too.

Jennifer,
http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com

My "workhorse" wetsuit that I bought 6 years ago (custom, $250 Cdn) is still going strong because I turn it inside out & rinse it in fresh water as soon as I can. It's a bit faded, and I've torn some holes in it by...er... sitting in the wrong place at the wrong time :wink: But it's still in good condition. Good enough that I still wear it quite a bit.

For washing, I tend to use anything from the supermarket that is market as "gentle" or "for delicates"; stuff like Woolight, Zero, etc. IOW, nothing caustic.

Again, after turning it inside out I semi-zip it so that it will hold some towels inside. When wet, these keep the suit underwater in the machine. I also pile other, larger towels on top of the suit so their weight will help keep it underwater while in the wash cycle.

I use only cold water, on the "gentle" cycle. After it's finished I unzip the suit, take out the towels, and hang it to dry (still inside out) on a big plastic hanger that has no sharp edges.

The suit has not lost it's shape, and everything seems to be still working after 6 years, so I guess I must be doing something right. :wink:

BTW, rinsing ALL your gear in fresh water after use is a good idea.

~SubMariner~

thanks, just wanted to clarify, in the washer? With detergent? If so which one? Again thanks. I'd hate my new dive name to be stinky!!

Because that is too harsh on the neoprene. I usually use "cold water wash for delicates" kind of products. They don't have the caustic ingredients in them that can be harmful to the neoprene.

If you re-read my previous post, you'll see some of them mentioned.

And yes, if you have it in cold water & use the gentle cycle (again, as described in my previous msg) you can use the washer. Afterall, if it's good enough for your lacy underwear, why not your wetsuit? :wink:

Hope that helps,

~SubMariner~

Dstang 65, the following advice comes from years of diving teaching and running a dive facility:

The life expectancy of neoprene is determined by several factors... the quality, the frequency used, even the depth you dive it to, but more importantly is how you take care of it!

Don't use a washer if you can help it. Even if it's on delicate it WILL reduce the life of your suit considerably. In fact try not to fold or crease it any more than necessary. The more cells you collapse, the more the suit will lose it's thermal qualities.

To clean it: Fresh water rinse it after every use (both sides) and hang to dry(not in the sun). Before you get the organic smell going you should use 'wetsuit shampoo' commonly found at any establishment that sells wetsuits. In the dive shops back room you will see them use something like "Downy". At home I use "Caress". It really doesn't matter as long as it's not too abrasive, and you do it by hand. If it's too late and the suit begins to stink... use a product called "sink the stink" it works!

I'd have to agree with Mario on this one. The washer doesn't sound like a very good idea to me either. I've always washed my suit in the bathtub. Stinky doesn't begin to cover the smell of a van in the summer with a stinky wetsuit in it.

Good Luck,
Jennifer
http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com

I wound not suggest either a washing machine or a spin dryer, they tend to tear neopreane, believe me i have tried it and it does work, so what i would suggest is a bathtub or large bucket of luke warm water with a soft detergent, it may be worth paying for a wetsuit shampoo, they better on neprene then that of the hearsh ones we used on cottons etc

thanx

beck

Dstang65,

I bought a 50 gal. stock tank, (about 2'tall & 4'long, oval), you might see them in the back of the dive shops used for tank fills. Keep it out by the barn. When we come back from a trip all gear gets a dippin & rinsin. After that we put Woolite in the water & wash out the suits & dive skins. Rinse & hang em up to dry, NOT ON THE CLOTHES LINE, had a stray dog chew the legs off of one, now it's a shorty. Hang em in the shade & let em drip dry. Be sure you have invested in one of those good hangers. Made mine out of 4" PVC & elbows. Works great & cost less. Like they said above do not use detergent. Besides being bad for the suit,if you don't get it all rinsed out, it'll give you a rash in the places you don't want a rash. The stock tank works great, you don't get water all over the house & don't have to fight the bras & panties hangin on the shower rod for space.

Woolite is great, if it works for Sub's lacy underwear, then it's good enough for me.

Alot of good advise on cleaning wet suits. I use a fresh water rinse if the suit doesn't stink. But if it does, I fill the laundry tub with warm water and a shot of "Sink the Stink". This is a commonly sold item in Florida dive shops. About $1.99 and will bio-clean everything you dive with. Then hang wet and let dry. It ain't brain surgery.:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom