sea sickness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obada.jandali

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yo ppl!! :crafty:

Newly Certified open water diver in here!! unfortunately, i found out that i suffer motion "sea" sickness on my first boat dive few days ago, buddies and instructors informed me of a sea sickness medicine, but i don't believe in this ****, or maybe i should :S!!! anyway i love this sport and i'm not gonna let this stupid sickness prevent me from practicing it, so any ideas, advices, experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!

Keep going deeper!!!
OJ:crafty:

i found out that i suffer motion "sea" sickness on my first boat dive few days ago, buddies and instructors informed me of a sea sickness medicine, but i don't believe in this ****, or maybe i should

You oughta give it a try. There's several over the counter; meclizine, dimenhydrinate, scopolamine patch, etc. For first-AM dives I find meclizine to be effective. Take one before going to bed, one when you wake up, and one when boarding the boat.

Also avoid greasy foods, acidic foods, and completely empty stomach. Something fairly light but starchy can be good. Nibble plain crackers or pretzels. Sip water, not juice or carbonated beverages other than a little ginger ale. Some folks swear by ginger - cookies, candy, carmelized, etc.

Stay away from the stern and diesel fumes, as well as any smokers on the boat. Stay outside, eyes on the horizon. Stay towards the middle of the boat to lessen the "up and down" motion.

Lastly, if you're gonna hurl...
- head for the rail, not the head
- down wind of other passengers
- go long

And ultimately, if nothing works, eat a few bananas before the trip. They don't help at all, but they are the only food that tastes the same coming up as it does going down.

^^ As RJP says.

You do get used to it the more time you're on the boat. It's all in the mind.

In all honesty one tiny sea sickness pill is really worth the try if you have problems.

I'll second don't eat a ton before going on the boat and add to the list above not a lot of sugar either- i.e. candy. Post dive water and munchies are good- but again not too much.

And in the very worse case, this may be the price you pay for diving . . . you'd better hope like hell the meds work!

Try different ones. I found meclizine works sort-of for me.

However, if the seas are greater than 2', I'm going to hurl. Yes, I've seen a doctor. He said I could go up to double the dose at half the interval. I start the morning of the day before diving, taking double doses every four hours. Sometimes, it works. Mostly, not.

If it doesn't, learn to handle it gracefully. People can't stand others that lay moaning and 'woe is me'. Don't hurl in the boat. Quietly, over the side. Then drink a lot of water - it's better than the dry heaves and you don't want to dehydrate.

and go long. :)

Also, please don't lay on the bench where other divers need to plop down after climbing back on. That happened to me last week, and I can tell you having to stand on a deck with 3-5 foot rollers and a set of doubles on your back trying to get "sick boy" to move his ass isn't the most fun part of boat diving!!!

Also, please don't lay on the bench where other divers need to plop down after climbing back on. That happened to me last week, and I can tell you having to stand on a deck with 3-5 foot rollers and a set of doubles on your back trying to get "sick boy" to move his ass isn't the most fun part of boat diving!!!

I second this. I was on a dive boat with a young lady of about 18 years of age. She had paired with me since she heard I was a master diver and she did really well for a newer diver. Once we were on the surface I think it all caught up with her and she dry heaved while in the water. We got back on the boat and she sat beside me and was talking away and without warning my whole left leg and feet had her lunch on them. All I could do was say dont worry about it when she cried and begged me to forgive her she did not know it was about to happen.

Me being the suttle person I am just told her dont worry about it and took a short swim off the back and then back on the boat.

My point in this being if you know you suffer from it or at least in the past had it happen extend a courtesy and let others around you know so they can at least watch for it.

I second this. I was on a dive boat with a young lady of about 18 years of age. She had paired with me since she heard I was a master diver and she did really well for a newer diver. Once we were on the surface I think it all caught up with her and she dry heaved while in the water. We got back on the boat and she sat beside me and was talking away and without warning my whole left leg and feet had her lunch on them. All I could do was say dont worry about it when she cried and begged me to forgive her she did not know it was about to happen.

Me being the suttle person I am just told her dont worry about it and took a short swim off the back and then back on the boat.

My point in this being if you know you suffer from it or at least in the past had it happen extend a courtesy and let others around you know so they can at least watch for it.

Absolutely! I quietly talk to everyone around me before we start out. That way, if I come up, lunge out of my gear, and say, "Get the f--- out of the way!", they are more than happy to oblige! :)

Absolutely! I quietly talk to everyone around me before we start out. That way, if I come up, lunge out of my gear, and say, "Get the f--- out of the way!", they are more than happy to oblige! :)

LOL If I heard you say that and seen you running to the side Id gladly give you the rail of your choice :wink:

I live near the water, run my own boat, fish, and dive, and I still get hit by seasickness frequently when I rig equipment, or perform repairs, for someone else. I know all the remedies, and have tried most, and the pills are the remedy that works for me.

I make sure all my gear is rigged and working before I leave the dock, and make sure that I can perform any tasks necessary by feel so I can keep my head and eyes up if the sea state dictates.

I also try to leave myself an "out", so I can take care of business if I have to. Everyone can get sick sometimes, so do what you have too and get on with the dive. I also keep a water bottle (squeeze top) near by so you can rinse out your mouth as well as to drink.

Don't worry about it, it happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom