well that didn't go as planned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avenger79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Took the better half to her "intro to scuba" class. just to get a taste before we dive in to certification classes. She tends to be timid and get frustrated in some situations so I figured let her try the easy/fun class before we commit.
Starting out she had trouble getting her mask to seal. because of that wound up not getting the instruction others were getting. I was a little surprised they had somone work with her on it but the others continued. rather than have her get the mask right than join the next group of people to go they had her try to make the best of it once the mask was on. another words she got about 5 minutes of time under water with no chance to go to the deep end etc.
the next group had only 4 people in it so there would have been plenty of room for her.

needless to say she wasn't thrilled with it overall. she wants to take the intro again and this time have me take it with her, than she'll decide about going all in.

This is what a good LDS (local dive shop) is for. Check out a few, find a shop and an associated instructor that will spend the time with her in the hope that they get a new *loyal* customer.

that was kind of my thought as well. we were there to try it before commiting, shop knew that. others that were there were part of a group on thing just looking for a one time outing. I was surprised they focused more on them. ah well. I had thought about finding a different shop to go with next time. will have to see when she wants to try again.

Nothing better than a really good LDS. A place where you are welcome and cares enough to make your experience better. Always remember that we do this for fun. A good (I have a GREAT) LDS can increase your fun.

You want absolute min cost? -the net rocks... Big whoop.

worst part was this was the most expensive shop in the area for training, and he justified that by saying they were the best...........guess we'll have to see how second best does LOL

yeah it's always nerve racking getting into new things. finding the "right" places where you feel comfortable and well treated.

Personally I think Groupons and scuba instruction do not mix. We had a terrible experience and we were the ones that paid full price. Everyone else had the Groupon for half price. This shop is the only one I've ever seen in our area to offer a Groupon. And he told us during the class that he'd never do it again. Well I've since seen one for his shop 3 more times. And we really shopped around before paying $600 for our OW class.

Hope you find a good shop. It will make all the difference in the world for her. If you'd like to get it abroad, try Utila. We had a GREAT experience with Coral View Dive Resort.

From what you say she got a bum deal. In the Basic forum a thread has just been revived regarding Discover Scuba Diving. I assume the class she took was either that (PADI) one or something similar. One poster pointed out that a good first impression of scuba for a student is important. It's good you do have a "second best" shop to try. Good luck.

worst part was this was the most expensive shop in the area for training, and he justified that by saying they were the best............ ...//...

Not worst part, just the funny part... OK so let's say I wanted to buy a really good out of print book(let). Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Basic Cave Diving: A Blueprint for Survival Scroll through the prices...

Appears to me that this is the new 'reality'. If you didn't spend a king's ransom, then you made the wrong choice. :wink:

Seriously, find someone who wants to make your wife's experience a good one. It really is that simple.

Keep us posted...

Well avenger79 your experience is not out of the ordinary.
I would schedule a private discover scuba with a carefully selected DM or Instructor.
If you were closer I would tell you to come down and I would set it up for you.
It sounds like you need a DiveMaster Linda to work with your wife.
She was and is amazing with helping to ease and help student relax in the water.

I have lived it, helped train, witnessed many relax and enjoy training.
Good luck keep her calm and relaxed NOT UNDER ANY PRESSURE!
You might not even know or realize what she feels so be patient and supportive but not pushy!

CamG

I have lived it, helped train, witnessed many relax and enjoy training.
Good luck keep her calm and relaxed NOT UNDER ANY PRESSURE!
You might not even know or realize what she feels so be patient and supportive but not pushy!

CamG

oh yeah, no pressure on her at all. I told her we could go back whenever and if ever she wants. It was more her idea to try than mine. LOL

she said for right now she wants to focus on other things. we'll give it a month or two and she may want to try again.

Back
Top Bottom