Some questions and ideas after starting OW classes:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello guys,

I posted a few weeks ago when I signed up for my OW classes. My previous post "Plan of Attack," gave me a world of insight, and my instructor and a few diving friends have helped me out with a few things. That being said, I got to try some equipment, purchase my basic gear and a bit more, and was given some equipment from a friend.

During my first pool session my instructor let me try a few different masks and fins. As far as masks go, I settled with a Seadive Eagle eye. I'm not sure if it was the black silicone or what, but I got a great seal out of it and don't get much water at all. I tried a few different types of fins, and ended up going with the Scubapro Twin Jets. I know, I know, some people love/hate them. But I have an old knee injury, and the kick for split fins was much more comfortable than the larger kick I need to get the same results with the paddle fins. Maybe I will regret it later, but I get zero stress on my knee with the splits, and I can clearly feel that familiar "tweak" of the left knee when kicking in the paddles.

I have a Hollis 212/DC3 regulator set, environmentally sealed and overbalanced. Matched with a Hollis 321 safe second and a set of gauges with a compass mounted on it and a quick connect for the BCD, that's the air system. I have a seaquest back inflate BCD with weight-integrated pockets. A Mares Puck Pro dive computer, and a dive knife. I still need to get some clips/retainers for the safe second and gauges, and try to figure out how I should set up my gear. This week I will be in the pool with all of my own stuff, as the last class I still hadn't gotten my regulator together.

Here are a few questions that I came up with: I have a large mesh bag, a regulator bag, and a dive "suitcase." I pack up my fins, mask, snorkel, towel, suit, and rashguard in mesh bag, and carry my BCD and regulator bag.

1.) After purging out my regulators and DCing them from the tank, is there anything specific I need to be concerned with. I'm assuming hanging them by the first stage to air out would be ideal? Are there any major concerns or recommendations in keeping my regulators in good shape in between use?

2.) In class, my instructor has me dump the training BCD to clear out any water and inflate it. I leave it inflated and hung up. I'm not sure how long he leaves it like that, as it is put away when I return for my next class. When I get home with my BCD, should I inflate it and let it hang for a bit?

3.) Lastly, and this is entirely off topic so far, how often while traveling in the Caribbean/Mexico/Aruba/Bonaire will I run into places that actually have DIN tanks? I picked up a DIN first stage and DIN to Yoke adapter in hopes of traveling to Europe to dive one day. After learning a little bit about tank sizes and pressures, I was quite shocked at the difference in air when you can pressurize it to DIN levels. Am I being over-excited about the potential to get a DIN bottle? Or are AL80's generally sufficient, and Yoke's ok for most dives.

I won't be back in class for a while, so I figures that I would post up my thoughts and questions and see what you guys think. ON a separate note, I am having a blast in my OW classes. I am doing them privately, as my schedule is a mess, and man what a good time. I finished the academic portion, and just have my test and a few pool sessions of skills left.

Thanks,
BC

Hello guys, I posted a few weeks ago when I signed up for my OW classes. My previous post "Plan of Attack," gave me a world of insight, and my instructor and a few diving friends have helped me out with a few things. That being said, I got to try some equipment, purchase my basic gear and a bit more, and was given some equipment from a friend. During my first pool session my instructor let me try a few different masks and fins. As far as masks go, I settled with a Seadive Eagle eye. I'm not sure if it was the black silicone or what, but I got a great seal out of it and don't get much water at all. I tried a few different types of fins, and ended up going with the Scubapro Twin Jets. I know, I know, some people love/hate them. But I have an old knee injury, and the kick for split fins was much more comfortable than the larger kick I need to get the same results with the paddle fins. Maybe I will regret it later, but I get zero stress on my knee with the splits, and I can clearly feel that familiar "tweak" of the left knee when kicking in the paddles. I have a Hollis 212/DC3 regulator set, environmentally sealed and overbalanced. Matched with a Hollis 321 safe second and a set of gauges with a compass mounted on it and a quick connect for the BCD, that's the air system. I have a seaquest back inflate BCD with weight-integrated pockets. A Mares Puck Pro dive computer, and a dive knife. I still need to get some clips/retainers for the safe second and gauges, and try to figure out how I should set up my gear. This week I will be in the pool with all of my own stuff, as the last class I still hadn't gotten my regulator together. Here are a few questions that I came up with: I have a large mesh bag, a regulator bag, and a dive "suitcase." I pack up my fins, mask, snorkel, towel, suit, and rashguard in mesh bag, and carry my BCD and regulator bag. 1.) After purging out my regulators and DCing them from the tank, is there anything specific I need to be concerned with. I'm assuming hanging them by the first stage to air out would be ideal? Are there any major concerns or recommendations in keeping my regulators in good shape in between use? 2.) In class, my instructor has me dump the training BCD to clear out any water and inflate it. I leave it inflated and hung up. I'm not sure how long he leaves it like that, as it is put away when I return for my next class. When I get home with my BCD, should I inflate it and let it hang for a bit? 3.) Lastly, and this is entirely off topic so far, how often while traveling in the Caribbean/Mexico/Aruba/Bonaire will I run into places that actually have DIN tanks? I picked up a DIN first stage and DIN to Yoke adapter in hopes of traveling to Europe to dive one day. After learning a little bit about tank sizes and pressures, I was quite shocked at the difference in air when you can pressurize it to DIN levels. Am I being over-excited about the potential to get a DIN bottle? Or are AL80's generally sufficient, and Yoke's ok for most dives. I won't be back in class for a while, so I figures that I would post up my thoughts and questions and see what you guys think. ON a separate note, I am having a blast in my OW classes. I am doing them privately, as my schedule is a mess, and man what a good time. I finished the academic portion, and just have my test and a few pool sessions of skills left. Thanks, BC

1) rinse, dry, store - check for functionality and service within the mfr recommendations and you should be fine
2) I store mine deflated. Make sure it's rinsed out and dry and you're good
3) I believe that many steel HP tanks convert easily to DIN (just an Allen wrench) but otherwise in the Americas I think you're looking at yoke. I recommend you take it easy on buying tanks - you can always buy them. Don't get hung up on pressure tho - volume is what matters. That said I prefer steel to AL.

1) rinse, dry, store - check for functionality and service within the mfr recommendations and you should be fine
2) I store mine deflated. Make sure it's rinsed out and dry and you're good
3) I believe that many steel HP tanks convert easily to DIN (just an Allen wrench) but otherwise in the Americas I think you're looking at yoke. I recommend you take it easy on buying tanks - you can always buy them. Don't get hung up on pressure tho - volume is what matters. That said I prefer steel to AL.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I didn't mean to imply that I was looking to buy tanks, but rather ask what could be found while vacationing. Any chance of finding din tanks of higher pressure/volume while ok vacation? Or does everyone pretty much just offer AL80's with yoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIN tanks are pretty unusual in the Caribbean, but they exist. A few dive operators in Cozumel use them. On the whole, though, you will find yoke.

That does not mean you made a bad choice. All my regulators and all my tanks are DIN. I use the adapter when I need it, and I am glad to do without it when I don't.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I didn't mean to imply that I was looking to buy tanks, but rather ask what could be found while vacationing. Any chance of finding din tanks of higher pressure/volume while ok vacation? Or does everyone pretty much just offer AL80's with yoke?

There are a few ops in Cozumel that dive HP steel. We watched the Aldora boat crew on our last trip swap out yoke for DIN on a steel 120 and it took about 2 minutes.

But I think most ops in the Carib dive AL80s. You safest bet for US diving is yoke. We used yoke on the HP steels so you're fine there too.

1: Get caps for your first stage to prevent water/moisture from getting in them
2: Rinse it with fresh water and dump through the inflator hose. Inflate orally and then dump again with the manual dump valve, located at the bottom of the BC, at the lowest position. Slightly inflate so the sides of the bladder won't stick together and hang up.
3: Get your own adapter. DIN tanks are generally the expection for recreational divers/dive locations.

Safe dives . . . . .
. . . safer ascents

the K

1: Get caps for your first stage to prevent water/moisture from getting in them
2: Rinse it with fresh water and dump through the inflator hose. Inflate orally and then dump again with the manual dump valve, located at the bottom of the BC, at the lowest position. Slightly inflate so the sides of the bladder won't stick together and hang up.
3: Get your own adapter. DIN tanks are generally the expection for recreational divers/dive locations.

Safe dives . . . . .
. . . safer ascents

the K

Thank you very much for the reply. I have a cap that fits on the DIN mount of the first stage, and doubles as a cap that fits on a yoke if it left connected.

Just some things to add.
Hang the regulators so the 1st stage weight is all on the hook, and so that the hoses aren't getting wrenched over into a sharp bend by the weight of hanging 1 stages, especially metal ones.

I have also received the advice about rinsing out the BC then leaving it inflated and realized the rather obvious glaring flaw in that plan. If it is inflated and thus air tight, it will never dry inside, now I unscrew one of the pull dump valves after rinsing it out thoroughly and let it fully dry out inside before putting it back on (with some silicone) and then inflating it slightly just in case to prevent stickage. After sitting for about 5 years untouched in a tote, my Zeagle is like new inside when I recently got back to diving and unscrewed the dump valve to look inside and see what it looked like, perfectly clean and dry with no smell.

And just to confirm I think you did the right thing in my opinion getting a DIN reg, and the yoke adapter is mandatory if you rent. I am seriously considering converting my MR22 to DIN since now I own tanks and all my valves are DIN and I am using the yoke adapter inserts at the moment.
Most new valves seem to be DIN with yoke inserts now anyways, probably so they can be sold internationally without having 2 separate units.

I disagree with keeping your BC (or wing) deflated during storage. A deflated bladder runs the risk of "sticking" together internally if kept that way for a length of time... when re-inflated, there is a potential for it to tear and create a pinhole leak. It has happened to me... your results may vary.

Thank you very much guys. I will try to put that all into practice. I had another question. Are there any non-essential pieces of equipment that make life a little easier, but would not necessarily come up in my OW course? I noticed that some divers have those neoprene bands on the back of their masks. Is that something worth while? Any other little things that make underwater time a bit more hospitable?

Thanks as always,
BC

Back
Top Bottom