finally I did the poling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STOGEY

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well after three years of diving with Fran Marcoux and the Day Breaker, I finally got to do the poling. It was a great dive. Saw plenty of fish, and there is so much to see that I'l have to do it many times to be able to see the entire ship. Visibility was about 30 feet and temps about 50-55.

I did have a small problem though. Fran had told us about the bow line that we can use as a guide while descending and ascending. I must have been checking out my equipment when Fran was giving us that talk. So when I descended I went down right off of the entry point.

Did my stuff took plenty of pictures and enjoyed the wreck. When it came time for my ascent I ended up about two miles away from the Day Breaker. Of course Fran saw me and gave me the ok sign and I responded like wise.

While waiting for the others to board the boat and have Fran come and pick me up. I was passsed by many boaters including one blow boat. They came so close that they asked me if everything ws ok. I responded that depends, do ya have any beer and cigars on board. They said that they didn't have any of the items that I had asked for.

They went their way and I went mine. There was also a navy ship in the near by. I think that they were getting ready to send a zodiac to come and pick me up. I got a little nervous getting shanghaied by a bunch of sailors.

Congrats on diving the Poling. It is a nice dive when the conditions are right and definitely worth doing more than once. Also, congrats on lessons learned.

Actually Fran has to go and get some one at least once a week. Besides the wait wasn't so bad. My bc was full of air the water was nice and warm. Plus they told me the way the current ws going. I would have ended up at kettles Is. This is another one of my favorite spots. I could have done another dive while waiting.

Rick L:
Small problem 2 miles?
Yikes your lucky!!!
Rick L

Actually two miles is nothing. I've swam a lot more in the pool under less ideal conditions.

Free ascents in the North Atlantic aren't something I care to do. Glad the rest of the dive went well.

Rick L:
What pool you diving in:)
Lots of boats and currents in there?
Rick L

I was headed towards kettle island. I could have wrote a book or a movie like Tom Hanks.

Yeah, not a minor goof. I'm glad you are ok, but make sure at a minimum that you have a lift bag that you can deploy if you get into this situation again. You were really lucky...that's a busy boat traffic area.

How did you miss the ascent line? What did you mean by "bow line"?

I think he didn't know there was one.
I also think FRan had a line from the bow of his bow attached to the buoy line of the wreck. Since he didn't know to swim to the bow after dropping in, he never saw the line going down and therefore didn't know to come up it. Just a guess here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom