Question for you GUE/DIR/Other TLAs: Photography and team diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Asking this here as I've found the Norcal GUE/DIR peeps to be reasonable and not forcing the kool-aid on others.

As I understand, the philosophy is centered around team diving with each member looking out for the others. I was wondering how you address photography/videography, and I know some of you do it. How do you balance the focus needed for working the camera with the focus needed to pay attention to your team.

The team concentrates on the goal of the dive. If it's video or photos the dive is planned to take that into consideration. If the photographer wants to shoot a particular subject he signals the team that he's going to shoot... the team members stop and pay attention to the photog, keeping an eye on him and standing ready to assist if needed. Also the non photog should position themselves so that the shooter can still keep tabs of you so that he can respond if you have an emergency. That's why sometimes 3 man teams work well as the 2 non shooters can watch each other and the main shooter all at once.

Hey Mike,

I don't know how the REAL photographers do it, but for my team, it's all a part of team diving: being on the same page. The photographer doesn't go off on his own every time he sees a winning shot, and when he is busy setting up that winning shot, the team is cognizant and stays closeby to handle any problems that pop up. Everyone works together and nobody comes to the game thinking "it's all about me."

I've been holding a camera since my first OW class (but that's a subject for another thread), and I think it's all about priorities. My first priority is to my team, and I'm ready to drop the camera at an instant if needed. I also don't let the camera control my focus, even if it means missing out on great opportunities (and if I do see something I don't want to miss, I actively signal to my team, or they notice because we're always staying in constant contact, and they stand by while the camera rolls). My teammates' priorities are to the team as well, and that means they're happy to help out with the shot, and they know that the shot is never too important to interrupt if anything happens, or higher priority than making the dive enjoyable for everyone.

The team concentrates on the goal of the dive. If it's video or photos the dive is planned to take that into consideration. If the photographer wants to shoot a particular subject he signals the team that he's going to shoot... the team members stop and pay attention to the photog, keeping an eye on him and standing ready to assist if needed. Also the non photog should position themselves so that the shooter can still keep tabs of you so that he can respond if you have an emergency. That's why sometimes 3 man teams work well as the 2 non shooters can watch each other and the main shooter all at once.

Ben, This is the first time I have ever heared of this (Photography) with DIR/GUE, I did not know Photography was even allowed, I applaud you for this post and it really stokes my interest!

Thank you for this very good/Interesting post!!

PS, It also seems very safe/good for the Photographer!!!

Wow Buddy, You really caught my attention!!

Ben, This is the first time I have ever heared of this (Photography) with DIR/GUE, I did not know Photography was even allowed, I applaud you for this post and it really stokes my interest!

Some great image galleries from local DIR divers who regularly shoot photos/videos.

Jim/Mike,
I really think this isn't really about DIR/UTD. It just falls under the "Good buddy" category of questions. I think the reason you think that we do it better is that the DIR/UTD community does articulates it better than the other parties because of the way things are taught. The emphasis on the "how" versus just the "back on the boat with 500" type of mindset when it comes to dive execution and training.

Also the mindset of being goal oriented brings another aspect to one's diving. If we set a goal be it Photograpghy, Nudibranch survey, scooter exploration, skills or just having a fun dive, the team come to an agreement on what that goal is going to be. That's what having the overall "Team goals" approach brings to the table. It's kinda like what someone else said about Fundies. It's the same skills in the OW course just done to a a higher level of perfection.

Hopefully our resident photography experts will chime in and maybe even repost the article that was published in the GUE magazine...

Ben (not to be mistaken as a photographer at all!)

There's a great article about this in the Winter 2009 Quest magazine if you have the subscription - echos most of the points Ben and Gombessa already mentioned.

-B

I believe that's the one that Rob wrote... Maybe he'll repost it here for everyone to read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom