Lost at N. Monastery Sat. 3/20: SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guy Alcala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Because I decided not to do the dive (back issues) I loaned my buddy Fofo my SMB, as his had come unclipped and been lost on a previous dive. I watched him clip it securely to his butt D-ring. Well, off he goes, and when he comes back both my SMB and his reel are missing. Both were clipped off to the butt D-ring, and we figure that his tank must be rubbing against the gate on the bolt snaps and opening them, which also explains how he lost his SMB and a surveyor's tape on separate dives in the past.

As it turns out, one of his buddies was almost hit by his reel as it fell past him on the initial descent, so Fofo recovered it after the dive ('gee, he's got a reel just like mine':D).

Anyway, on the off chance that anyone found it, it's an orange Blue Reef 4' Deluxe SMB, with an oral inflate and a semi-closed bottom. It's marked with my last name, IIRR, and has 'Diver Below' printed on it.

Thanks,

Guy Alcala

Gee,

That sucks Guy, I hope it uncoils and therefore becomes more visible for someone to find. I use to clip on my butt d-ring until my instructor made me stow it in my bellows pocket, that limits the run away smb/reel incident.

Don't you have a DUI suit with large bellows pockets? I remember you in a DUI suit but cannot recall if they had pockets.

Anyway hope it turns up...

Gee,

That sucks Guy, I hope it uncoils and therefore becomes more visible for someone to find. I use to clip on my butt d-ring until my instructor made me stow it in my bellows pocket, that limits the run away smb/reel incident.

Don't you have a DUI suit with large bellows pockets? I remember you in a DUI suit but cannot recall if they had pockets.

Anyway hope it turns up...

Yes, I keep the SMB and a 100' spool in a pocket, when I carry it. I had a Halcyon Exploration pocket put on my suit to replace the strap-on pocket I used to use, and they fit nicely in there with room for other stuff. The pocket on my other thigh is a DUI zip pocket, into which goes my survey notes, orienteering compass and any other small stuff I'm likely to remove and restow several times during a dive. A reel or a survey tape always gets clipped onto the butt D-ring except for back-roll entries off an RIB, when it gets temporarily clipped on the front one to keep it from damaging a tube or snagging on a safety line. I used to carry my reel in the zip pocket if I had it along 'just in case', but the handle tore out the pocket seams so I don't do that any more.

Oh, and a belated Happy Birthday! I didn't notice Kristina's post before for some reason.

Guy

i use this
Lift Bags/Marker Bags - Lift Bag Sleeves - XS Scuba Lift Bag Sleeve - Northeast Scuba Supply

, fits smb and reel nicely , where you need it. mounts to plate.

I've got a Halcyon plate and MC pad, into which I could stuff the SMB. But I found that the overpressure valve on the one I had was uncomfortable against my back, so I don't do that anymore.

I don't want to use a bag clipped off to the base of the BP, because I don't want anything hanging down and interfering with access to the butt D-ring. Besides, I've got enough stuff dangling off me when I'm surveying or mapping. Moving as much of it as I can into pockets on my suit cuts down on the christmas tree effect, and also keeps things neater on a boat.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom