monastery report 5/9/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
2:30pm, N monastery had between ankle and knee high surf for an easy entry walking in and putting on fins in the water. In the shallows to 30ft., Vis was about 20ft and had a lot of particulate matter resembling snot. Deeper water yielded 30-40ft vis.

Saws lots of juvenile and undersized rockfish, a solitary blacksmith that was interesting to me as I have only seen these previously at breakwater and in aggregations. Sea cucumbers where everywhere. Filmed a greenling close-up and it batted it's dorsal fin at me in a comical way that I guess it meant to be threatening. The steep drop-off was very impressive with the good vis, reminding me of the walls of cozumel. On the way back found a few black and yellow rockfish and came across a nice school of big blues cruising around under the thick canopy in just 25fsw.
Took some video footage that I will post a link to when I get around to editing it.

Prior to the afternoon dive a monastery I hiked around Lobos and saw some splashing about a mile or 2 out of the cove and thru my binoculars spotted a very large pod of large porpoises on the surface splashing around. They were out there for a long time as I spotted them again almost an hour later in the same spot. did some reseach and I based on their coloration they would be Risso's Dolphins.

The harbor seals in whaler's cove were fun to watch. It was so calm and clear in the cove I could watch them swimming underwater from the bluffs above. Anyone know legally how close you can swim towards them before it is considered harassment or a disturbance to them? I would like to do so some time, but want to avoid scaring or disturbing them.

-ken

Attachments

• RissosDolphin2.jpg
    RissosDolphin2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 47
<snip>

The harbor seals in whaler's cove were fun to watch. It was so calm and clear in the cove I could watch them swimming underwater from the bluffs above. Anyone know legally how close you can swim towards them before it is considered harassment or a disturbance to them? I would like to do so some time, but want to avoid scaring or disturbing them.

-ken

I don't know that there's any specific distance, but I try to never directly approach them, always aiming to pass them some distance to the side (typically 25' or more)and let them come to me if they choose. If you see one go into an alert posture, that in my book is disturbing them. OTOH, if you see one open its eyes, casually glance in your direction while smacking its lips, and then close its eyes again and return to its nap, it's reasonable to assume that you've been rated a non-threat. And if they come over and nip your fins, demand that you scratch their belly, hug you with their flippers or peer over your shoulder, they're harassing you, but you have no legal recourse.:D

Guy

Ken,

Nice pictures of the Risso's. I once not too long ago bumped into one at the mouth of the Whalers cove.

We were headed out to hole in the wall just outside the mouth, when I looked over and saw this huge dorsal fin break the water only 10 feet away. I gasped and was relieved when I saw that the dorsal fin moved up and down and not side to side.

Those guys are huge and this guy had battle wounds and was more scary looking than nice. But thats just me.

The Risso was leaving the cove as were we, it was a sight I will not soon forget, closest I have ever gotten to one in scuba, as a teenager a dolphin surfaced right next to me while surfing, they are huge beautiful mammals that show so much intelligence.

The photo is stock off the net -can't take any credit for that. I saw them through binoculars

You're lucky for the close encounter Mike, I have hoped for such an experience.

I've seen some harbor seals and sea lions up close under water and those have been very memorable dives(no fin biting or belly rubs yet though)
-ken

We too saw a pod from the bluffs at Whaler's Cove on Saturday morning, making their way towards Monastery.

When I was showing Max and Elaine the layout of Pt Lobos we saw a big pod of (I think) Risso's outside... That was in the morning about 930 am... they were heading north east toward Monastery.

I wonder if those were the same ones you saw.... Unfortunately I left my small binocs in the truck and we couldn't really get a good look at them.

When I was showing Max and Elaine the layout of Pt Lobos we saw a big pod of (I think) Risso's outside... That was in the morning about 930 am... they were heading north east toward Monastery.

I wonder if those were the same ones you saw.... Unfortunately I left my small binocs in the truck and we couldn't really get a good look at them.
I saw the dolphins from water level, outside Whalers. Well really what I saw was a fin break the water near us. Took me a second to figure out what it was.

I saw the dolphins from water level, outside Whalers. Well really what I saw was a fin break the water near us. Took me a second to figure out what it was.

Peter,

Then you know exactly what that gasp feels like don't you?

Let me quote you again, "Well really what I saw was a fin break the water near us. Took me a second to figure out what it was".

I think your two sentences sum up a page I wrote up on the experience on another thread.

Nothing takes your breath away more than that dorsal fin on the surface, don't know how I would feel to see her below the surface.

Would be nice to see what other divers that spend countless more hours diving than me, come up with in Monterey?

There most be a hidden archive of awesome, unbelievable scuba encounters of large dolphins here in Carmel, where are they?

Back
Top Bottom