Monastery Memorial Plaque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I was diving at North Monastery with some friends on Sunday, and we were probably in about 120 feet of water, on the wall there, and we came across a cast-iron plaque, maybe a foot wide and a foot tall, to someone I believe was named "Ewart" or "Ewert," and the inscription said "We Will Ride Again," or something like that. It was very dark and very murky down there, so we didnt stick around long, but does anyone know anything about it?

I'd like to check that out could you post or PM me it's location in relation to the breaker rock?
Thanks.
Andy

I dont have great directions, because it was highly murky, I was watching 3 other people, and it was very dark.
If you go out, and get near the kelp ring the surrounds the rock peak, and drop maybe 10 yards from the kelp line, into open sand (or sand covered in vegetation) and just proceed down the slope, keeping the wall roughly 10 yards from you for much of the descent, look around at about 110-120 feet. Again, I dont remember correctly, but it was maybe 123 feet, facing out from the wall, up against some rocks. I only noticed it because it caught the light of my light cannon. I want to get out there on a clear day and look for it, maybe bring a camera. I'd guess it was maybe due south, southwest of the rock, at its base.
I know these are crappy directions, but I dont pay much attention like that when I got to monastery, because I just dive out, keeping the wall on my right, and keep it on my left and follow the slope up when I head back. If I can get out there on a clear day and get some directions, I'll post them
Also, I'm sure it goes without saying, but lets make sure whoever goes out there pays it respect. I didnt touch it, except to remove a starfish that was holding onto the face of it.

I don't have much information beyond that. He had a
buddy, they became separated, he was found dead a
couple of hours later. There was a news item on Ch 35
that night, an article in the Herald, I think the next day.

His friends were good people to place the plaque.

Chuck, you always come through when we need info, so thank you for that.
I have to say, an already eerie dive was made even eerier finding that plaque. It was my 100th dive, and I was with 2 close friends and another diver, and we were down there, below 100, kinda peeking around, but it was night-dive dark, with heavy silt, so we were turning around to ascend back to a clearer, better lit depth, when my light caught the plaque. We all kind of crowded around it to look at it. I have to say, I was kind of haunted by it for a little while, wondering if it was just a memorial to someone who loved diving, or to someone who loved diving and had died diving at that site.
If any of his friends read this, that's an awesome memorial, and if I happen to come across it again, I will be sure to pay my respects.

Wow...that's cool to finally know where that came from. I saw that sign there last time I was at Monestary and it was the same feeling for me...kind of got me creeped out a little, feeling like I was standing at a gravesite or something. I, too, will pay my respects next time I see the sign.

Brian

Does anyone know how long it's been there? One of my regular dive hippies said they saw it for the first time last weekend as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom