First Dives with 50mm and E-520

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked the orange Nudi and the blenny in sand the best. Both were close, sharp, and lit well. Yes Macro is harder than you'd think. I know I'm always amazed when I finally get a good photo. It is important to fill the frame when doing macro. Fish don't always make the easiest subjects because they're skittish. Anyway, other than practice I think you're on your way.

Cool pics, as Gary says all you need to do is get a little closer and fill the frame. But it really is a great start !!!

LaJollaShores4-12-09-4122420-1.jpg

Is probably my favorite. I think you go the ronquils (I'm pretty sure that's what those are) very nicely.

I see you're shooting about f/10 & 1/125. I'd bump up both; shoot at at least f12-f14 and try to shoot around 1/180-1/200th for best sharpness. Get your strobes close and turn the m up as necessary. You'll get better color saturation that way.

Jack

I agree with what Jack is saying. I didn't look at the EXIFfirst time round. I shoot the 50mm at 1/250 and f11, up to f16 if I need more DOF. I wasn't really happy with the results at f22, maybe I will give it another try tomorrow.

Went out again yesterday afternoon but conditions were really poor. Still have my old settings but I did adjust WB based on a test shot of a grey reference card. I'm going to try another set on Sunday with the higher F stops and shutter speed. Thanks for the help. My last attempt:

La Jolla Shores 4-17-09 pictures by bmchugh_photo - Photobucket

Brian

Brian,
If you don't have a photographer's steady stick, you might try that. I've made them from tent poles. Its basically a stick you can place in the sand or dead part of the reef to steady yourself while taking a photo. I know that helped me out a great deal with surge and currents.

ce, how long would you make the stick, do you shoot one handed with it and steady yourself with the other?

Thanks,
Brian

Tried the new settings this weekend, F13 and 1/180, I think the results were better. Conditions while not clear were much better than my last trip so surge was not a problem. I'm shooting my strobes in TTL but seems they are not quite bright enough so I bumped the exposure in lightroom. I might try manual strobe settings next trip. The strange thing is the jpgs from the camera are brighter than the raw images. Must be the dIifference how the camera processes the pictures vs. lightroom.

La Jolla Shores 4-19-09 pictures by bmchugh_photo - Photobucket

Brian

ce, how long would you make the stick, do you shoot one handed with it and steady yourself with the other?

Hey Brian,
My stick was a modified tent pole. The stick has a wrist strap and a small ring attached to put a finger through. This allows you to keep both hands on the camera if necessary while digging the stick into the sand or using it against dead coral. Most sticks I've seen are fairly short, stainless steel; however, I chose a longer, thin, tent pole replacement made from fiber glass. It was a cheap solution and I just drilled a hole through the metal portion and put a key ring then a wrist strap from an old dive light. I suppose if you wanted it shorter you could cut the pole. In any case, it really helps steady yourself in current when trying to lineup a small critter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom