E-PL1 vs E-PL2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_willy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Perhaps a strange question with the imminent release of the E-PL2 and new housing, but I am wondering how much better the E-PL2 will be than the E-PL1. I note Oly says the E-PL2 is not a replacement for E-PL1 , but another camera in the line up. I am looking to upgrade from P&S and like what I have read about the PEN cameras. It looks like the E-Pl2 camera and housing is about $200 more than a E-PL1 set up. Is it worth paying the additional $200. Its not so much the cost for me, but I have an upcoming diving trip and looks like the E-PL2 is going to be available in the US before I leave (10th Feb).

If it helps - I would use the camera mostly underwater and I do about 4 weeks of underwater photography a year. I am looking for a system that will work well for me and allow me to expand options over the years (ie add new lenses etc).

Thanks.

I just acquired e-pl2 and olympus housing and as far as I can see that advantage of e-pl2 over the predecessor is larger display and better (faster focus) lens. I think it is worth of paying 200 usd for a better lens alone. Other than that, e-pl1 has minimum iso of 100 (e-pl2 min. iso is 200), 1/160 sync speed (e-pl2 1/180) and 10bar also makes housing for it.
As of now, I have zen dome port + zuiko 9-18 lens and a 67mm wet lens for macro. Theoretically I can cover wide angle, fish portrait and macro with the current setup (not tested uw yet). I am also crossing my finger for upcoming 50mm zuiko macro lens that it will fit nicely to the standard port.
Basically, all I mentioned above, you can do with an e-pl1 using same components. I still feel though that the new kit lens is faster (from what I read and watched from the Internet; I have never tried e-pl1..) and it is worth of getting the successor. If you have the possibility to purchase from Europe (Netherlands), I can PM you the store URL, where I bought the kit.

The real question is whether the news kit lens is so much better as to justify buying it as a replacement!

The real question is whether the news kit lens is so much better as to justify buying it as a replacement!

Good point

...advantage of e-pl2 over the predecessor is larger display and better (faster focus) lens. I think it is worth of paying 200 usd for a better lens alone. Other than that, e-pl1 has minimum iso of 100 (e-pl2 min. iso is 200), 1/160 sync speed (e-pl2 1/180) and 10bar also makes housing for it...

I still feel though that the new kit lens is faster (from what I read and watched from the Internet; I have never tried e-pl1..) and it is worth of getting the successor. If you have the possibility to purchase from Europe (Netherlands), I can PM you the store URL, where I bought the kit.

I agree, but since I own an E-PL1 setup, I won't buy an E-PL2. No major benefit.

As I see it, here are the differences: The E-PL2 lens focuses faster. Its Olympus housing is smaller due to no hump for the optional viewfinder. Those seem to be the big pluses. On the minus side, it costs $300 more. The E-PL2 and housing are not yet widely available in the USA, so if you need something for a trip soon, get the earlier model (or maybe order from Japan or Europe, but ship cost will be high and delivery slow). According to Jack Connick at Optical Ocean Sales:
"EPL2 should start shipping in February, others including the XZ-1 not until end of March. All housings are not due to ship until mid to late March at best"​

I guess it's a judgment call. To me, the E-PL2 is an E-PL1 with new label. I just don't think the small incremental benefit is worth the cost. I'd rather invest that cost difference in the Zen dome, the 50 macro or other goodies.

Last edited:
I agree, but since I own an E-PL1 setup, I won't buy an E-PL2. No major benefit.

As I see it, here are the differences: The E-PL2 lens focuses faster. Its Olympus housing is smaller due to no hump for the optional viewfinder. Those seem to be the big pluses. On the minus side, it costs $300 more. The E-PL2 and housing are not yet widely available in the USA, so if you need something for a trip soon, get the earlier model (or maybe order from Japan or Europe, but ship cost will be high and delivery slow). According to Jack Connick at Optical Ocean Sales:
"EPL2 should start shipping in February, others including the XZ-1 not until end of March. All housings are not due to ship until mid to late March at best"​

I guess it's a judgment call. To me, the E-PL2 is an E-PL1 with new label. I just don't think the small incremental benefit is worth the cost. I'd rather invest that cost difference in the Zen dome, the 50 macro or other goodies.

Any date yet on the 50mm macro

Thanks for advice everyone. I like the suggestion of putting the savings in PL1 vs PL2 towards additional goodies. One question though - how limiting is the slow autofocus ? Will this just be evident in video mode ? Also the flash sync speed increase 1/160 to 1/180 does not seem to be a big change - am I missing something. I suspect these are features I may not get the benefit of.

I did look at Europe supply, but yes cost and risk of delivery time is a challenge, especially as my trip is now about a week a way.

Also the flash sync speed increase 1/160 to 1/180 does not seem to be a big change - am I missing something. I suspect these are features I may not get the benefit of.

Don't forget that pl2 has larger display and twice display resolution in comparison to pl1..

Will the E-PL2 work in a PT-EP01 housing? Rotating Bevel is a non issue underwater.

Back
Top Bottom