Saturation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConchyJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Somewhat EM-5 but also Lightroom.

I find myself always cranking up the saturation when working on a shot in LR 4.3.

Do you think this is normal? Or is there a setting on the camera I could change to pull out more color?

Or am I just over thinking this?:confused:

I'm not a terribly experienced photographer, but the first thing I thought of is that you might be slightly overexposing your images? That will wash the color out.

Hi Bob,

If you recall from our short intro. to lightroom during our macro class you have RAW files and Jpeg. files and others. RAW files and I hope you are shooting RAW are as they say RAW. None of the settings you apply in-camera like +/- sharpness, saturation, etc. are applied in-camera to the RAW file, so although it may look that way on the LCD/OVF all that is being shown is the Jpeg. not the untouched RAW file. The idea of RAW is that you apply those things to your liking in the software without any damage to the RAW file as it was captured. This is a somewhat simplistic way of explaining the process but the end result is that you control the finished RAW file while the Jpeg. file can be altered by the camera forever, no undoing once the capture is made.

By the way Reef Photo has another Macro class starting Thursday-Sunday which I will be teaching and yes we will finish in time for the superbowl.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil,

Glad to hear you are back in action. Hope you are feeling well. Maribi and I are going to try and hit the bridge this weekend. We have never seen jawfish with eggs and it looks like that is happening now. Hopefully will see you there.

On this topic, is there a way to have Lightroom apply the Olympus JPEG adjustments automatically to the RAW files as the default opening settings? I think the Oly jpegs are the best in the business and want to use those settings as my starting point for further adjustment, instead of spending a lot of time trying (usually unsuccessfully) to duplicate them starting from scratch.

Guy

Does this mean that the WB settings in the OLY EM5 don't do anything in the RAW file so don't bother with making adjustment in the camera?

Hi Bob,

None of the settings you apply in-camera like +/- sharpness, saturation, etc. are applied in-camera to the RAW file, so although it may look that way on the LCD/OVF all that is being shown is the Jpeg. not the untouched RAW file.

Phil Rudin

Phil, I had the impression that the GRADATION setting was actually one of the few settings that may affect RAW (like increase noise in the boosted shadow areas under AUTO gradation...)
Can you confirm which way it goes on that setting for RAW?
Frankly my UW pics are coming out a lot better since i selected a LOW gradation setting on the OM-D (I only shoot RAW) and process later using LR or ACDSEEPRO but your experience may tell me whether I am just delirious about this or gradation does indeed affect RAW.

I am just delirious
You ARE delirious! Seriously, this is exactly what I am getting at. Maybe the better question is "What settings affect RAW?"

Maybe the strobe? Maybe the .5 or 1.5 diffuser on the strobe? Blue diffuser? etc, etc.

And yes Phil I do shoot raw, but it seems the first thing I do is crank up the saturation!

PS. Like Guy, happy to hear you are back in the water. glad you are healing well, wish I could make it back down.

Reef has several Lightroom classes coming this year and I think it would be best to attend for those who can. I have far less knowledge regarding the fine points of this software than the instructor.

i will be teaching the macro class at the bridge Friday to Sunday so stop by and say hi if you see us Guy.

Phil Rudin

I will go to one of the Reef classes. Will look up their schedule.

Will definitely see you at least one of the days. Will have my 60mm. Might try to borrow a subsee + flip adapter from Reef to see if I can find and shoot any of those really tiny "grain of rice" nudis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom