Saturation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does this mean that the WB settings in the OLY EM5 don't do anything in the RAW file so don't bother with making adjustment in the camera?

That's the point of shooting raw. Everything the sensor records is in the raw file, and no PP settings on the camera affect the raw file. The only thing that affects the raw file is exposure bias, since that directly affects the amount of light hitting the sensor.

It may seem as if your camera settings (saturation, sharpening, WB etc) affect the raw file, but in reality they don't. The camera settings are stored as PP instructions in the raw file, usually readable only by the proprietary raw file processing software. Topside, I'm a Nikon guy, and the settings on my D300 affect the initial result - before my own adjustments - if I PP in ViewNX or CaptureNX. If I PP in LR or PS, the camera settings don't matter at all since the instructions in my NEF file can only be read by Nikon software.

As long as you shoot raw, WB and other settings on the camera only give you a basis for your PP settings. The information in the image file isn't affected at all.

Sorry, what is "PP"?

That's the point of shooting raw. Everything the sensor records is in the raw file, and no PP settings on the camera affect the raw file. The only thing that affects the raw file is exposure bias, since that directly affects the amount of light hitting the sensor.

It may seem as if your camera settings (saturation, sharpening, WB etc) affect the raw file, but in reality they don't. The camera settings are stored as PP instructions in the raw file, usually readable only by the proprietary raw file processing software. Topside, I'm a Nikon guy, and the settings on my D300 affect the initial result - before my own adjustments - if I PP in ViewNX or CaptureNX. If I PP in LR or PS, the camera settings don't matter at all since the instructions in my NEF file can only be read by Nikon software.

But basically, as long as you shoot raw, WB and other settings on the camera only give you a basis for your PP settings. The information in the image file isn't affected at all.

PP = PostProcess(ing). Adjustments to the image file after it's been recorded.

In retrospect, I see I could have been a little more careful about acronym usage. Sorry :)

Phil, I had the impression that the GRADATION setting was actually one of the few settings that may affect RAW (like increase noise in the boosted shadow areas under AUTO gradation...)
Can you confirm which way it goes on that setting for RAW?
Frankly my UW pics are coming out a lot better since i selected a LOW gradation setting on the OM-D (I only shoot RAW) and process later using LR or ACDSEEPRO but your experience may tell me whether I am just delirious about this or gradation does indeed affect RAW.

I went ahead and tried on 4 RAW files (easy to try): RAW + NO IS on a table with timer+ M set with 1/80 and F4 and 8mm lens. I applied to each the 4 different gradation testing and yes the one with best detail and especially noise control was under LOW setting, NORMAL in 2nd place. So while the other settings will not be changed in the RAW files GRADATION will make a difference. This was in ACDSEE Pro 6 and in LR ver. 4. OM-D rev 1.5 by the way.
However in Olympus Viewer you are able to set what you want also in GRADATION.... (!) So depending what SW processing route you go after your pics you may want to keep in mind that GRADATION setting may change how your program will interpret your ORF files.

Good stuff Nudi, I will experiment with that as well.

So to follow along with the subject of RAW, if I shoot at a higher shutter speed, is it better? Or worse? If I shoot at 1/60th, lots of strobe light, or 1/250, lots of ambient light?

What are everyone's thoughts about how this affects the RAW image? I am assuming that no matter where I set my shutter, my INON will adjust automatically, and I am at f14 or above, and with the EM-5 F22 looks pretty darn good with lots of DOF!

So while the other settings will not be changed in the RAW files GRADATION will make a difference.

According to this thread on mu-43.com, it's because the gradation setting actually affects exposure. Somewhat similar to Nikon's "Active D-lighting", which exposes for the highlights to ensure they don't blow out and then lifts the shadows during PP/JPEG generation.

Personally, I prefer to introduce any exposure bias myself instead of the camera doing it without me explicitly telling it to, but anybody's mileage may of course vary.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2013 at 07:44 AM ----------

with the EM-5 F22 looks pretty darn good with lots of DOF!

Just be aware that with the m43 sensor, you'll introduce diffraction softening at around f/11. My personal rules of thumb for minimum aperture unless I have a very good reason are:

• 24x36mm AKA FX AKA "full frame": f/22 (from experience)
  • DX AKA "APS-C": f/16 (from experience)
  • digicompact: f/2.8-4 (from experience)
  • (micro) four-thirds: f/11 (so far only from theory, though)

According to this thread on mu-43.com, it's because the gradation setting actually affects exposure. Somewhat similar to Nikon's "Active D-lighting", which exposes for the highlights to ensure they don't blow out and then lifts the shadows during PP/JPEG generation.

Personally, I prefer to introduce any exposure bias myself instead of the camera doing it without me explicitly telling it to, but anybody's mileage may of course vary.

A comment in the thread you mention says that the graduation setting only effects JPEG not RAW files.

Back
Top Bottom