Question Newbie questions for G7X Mark III settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DC23

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recently got a Canon G7X Mark III and struggle a bit with the settings, since I am coming from a Sony RX100 Mark III.

If you could help a newbie answer those questions would be great (all in M or C mode):

0.) Is there a difference between M and C mode?
1.) Can you change the settings of the control ring in M or C mode to change the focal length in steps (24, 28, 35, 50, 85, 100) like in AUTO mode?
2.) Can you change both aperture and shutter speed with the control dial only?
3.) Can you change the zoom indication to the actual used focal lenght instead of the min. focusing distance?
4.) How can I move the focus field while the camera is in an underwater housing, since tapping the screen is not possible?
5.) Which WB mode should I use for underwater since there is no dedicated mode?
6.) What does the * button do by default settings?
7.) Does macro mode affect the min. focusing distance like a Olympus TG6 does?
8.) Can you change the function of the exposure compensation dial to either apperture or shutter speed?

Bonus question:
Does the Canon G7X Mark III support reliable TTL flash? I am using a Sea & Sea YS-01 Solis.

Thank you very much!

Hi again,

ich tried around a bit more and could figure out some of my questions.
So for those also interested I added the solution below.
Red questions are still to be answered.

Thank you!

0.) Is there a difference between M and C mode?
--> Seems like these are the same but you can save different settings in C mode to switch faster.
1.) Can you change the settings of the control ring in M or C mode to change the focal length in steps (24, 28, 35, 50, 85, 100) like in AUTO mode?
--> Still haven't figured this one out, but you can atleast save a fixed focal length in C mode to get easier access to. Lets say for macro with a wet lense I usually use 50 - 100 mm, so setting C mode to 50 mm by default makes it easier to work in this range and not below.
2.) Can you change both aperture and shutter speed with the control dial only?
3.) Can you change the zoom indication to the actual used focal lenght instead of the min. focusing distance?
4.) How can I move the focus field while the camera is in an underwater housing, since tapping the screen is not possible?
--> You can either set the * or movie button to "AF point selection" in "Custom Functions (C.Fn)" to access controls over the position. Position with the control dial buttons and press "set" to confirm. To reset the position press * or movie button again and then "MENU".
5.) Which WB mode should I use for underwater since there is no dedicated mode?
6.) What does the * button do by default settings?
7.) Does macro mode affect the min. focusing distance like a Olympus TG6 does?
8.) Can you change the function of the exposure compensation dial to either apperture or shutter speed?

Bonus question:
Does the Canon G7X Mark III support reliable TTL flash? I am using a Sea & Sea YS-01 Solis.

Back
Top Bottom