Olympus OM-D & Nauticam Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I took some fairly accurate weight measurements in a trash can filled with salt water of different Nauticam components for the Olympus OM-D that may have some use to others.

I used a hanging 0-1 Kg electronic scale x 1 gram:

Amazon.com: American Weigh Scale Sr-1kg Gray Digital Hanging Scale, Gray, 1000g X 1 G: Health & Personal Care

My objective was to determine what size buoyancy strobe arms to purchase. I hope you find some of these measurements useful. Your mileage may vary.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 body w/memory card & battery
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f/4.0 ASPH
Nauticam NA-EM5 Housing, #28351
Nauticam 6' Wide Angle Port for the Panasonic 7-14mm, #36133
Nauticam Zoom Gear P714-Z for the Panasonic 7-14mm, #36142
Nauticam Long hand strap for Mirrorless IL camera & compact camera housing, #36323 (rubber removed)
Total:
Grams buoyant

Nauticam Flexitray with Left Handle #71204
Nauticam Adjustable Right Handle for Easitray and Flexitray
Nauticam 1" Base Ball for Easitray and Flexitray
Total:
Grams

Sea & Sea YS-D1 Underwater DS-TTL Strobe
Grams
Nauticam Clamp for all 1" ball arm systems #72501
Grams
Total:
Grams Negative camera & strobes without foam Neoprene handle, no strobe arms

Intova Supernova light with mounting adapter
Nauticam YS Light Adapter for Cold Shoe
Total:
Grams

Last edited:
Thanks. This was useful to me. I'm trying to setup a similar setup and was wondering about its buoyancy. You wouldn't have the grams/buoyant for each item rather than in a group? For example, I won't use the 6" dome port you have listed which affects the buoyancy a lot.

… I won't use the 6" dome port you have listed which affects the buoyancy a lot.

That is the only port I have so don’t have a way to seal the housing alone. The housing with the 6" port floats dome-up by 100 grams so I suspect a flat or smaller dome port would be neutral to slightly negative, without any handles or mounting adapters.

I purchased all the components except the actual strobe arms with floats so I could do this test. I am glad I did because I was able to get much smaller floats than I originally planned/guessed. That scale is very handy and inexpensive so it might be worth it for you to do the same to get measurements on the port(s) you plan to use. If you do, please post your findings.

BTW: the foam Neoprene cushion on the Nauticam #36323 Long hand strap added 229 grams of buoyancy at the surface. I removed it because it is so compressible. I ended up remaking the entire strap assembly with 1½" Nylon webbing and a piece of ¼" non-compressible cushion material that is only positive by a few grams. The only part of the strap I re-used was the screws and little stainless top bracket.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom