Turtle diving at Ivy Lea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was told that there is turtle diving and a prohibition underwater bottle collection to see at the Ivy Lea campground in Ontario Canada.

Does anyone have information on how to dive these sites? Where to enter the water, is there an UW line to follow for example?

Most of the turtles can be found on the west side of the park, in the narrow channel and the east end of smugglers cove. I have entered at the boat launch and exited at the docks just before the river or with lots of air continue to drift into the river. (exits are limited so you would need to plan it in advance.

I think the bottle site you are referring to is located at the east side. If you enter at the swimming beach/ scuba diver zone, then fin east along the shore line and around the point to travel north. you should find it.

There is also a small boat in about 70ft of water. it is located down from the old boat launch which is now located by campsite 105 or 106. Please note that you are not permitted to pass through the campsites to get access. But if you are staying on the one of the two sites it is not an issue.We often have one member of our group book 106 as it is a little nicer than 105 to stay on.

I am diving there on May 16,17,18. If you are in the area I can help you find your way.

Most of the turtles can be found on the west side of the park, in the narrow channel and the east end of smugglers cove. I have entered at the boat launch and exited at the docks just before the river or with lots of air continue to drift into the river. (exits are limited so you would need to plan it in advance.

I think the bottle site you are referring to is located at the east side. If you enter at the swimming beach/ scuba diver zone, then fin east along the shore line and around the point to travel north. you should find it.

There is also a small boat in about 70ft of water. it is located down from the old boat launch which is now located by campsite 105 or 106. Please note that you are not permitted to pass through the campsites to get access. But if you are staying on the one of the two sites it is not an issue.We often have one member of our group book 106 as it is a little nicer than 105 to stay on.

I am diving there on May 16,17,18. If you are in the area I can help you find your way.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I have the map of the campground and the locations you described are easy to find. It’s a small world, my wife and I will be camping on the same dates you are going to be there. I’m sure that Monday being is a national holiday in Canada has something to do with it. See you there.

I’ll send you a private message with my information.

Yeah, I have 105# so come on by...

Yeah, I have 105# so come on by...

Great, my site is number 50. My dive buddy will be at Cabin Echo Lodge. Turtles here we come.

---------- Post added March 15th, 2015 at 06:57 PM ----------

By the way, where does one get his cylinders refilled near Ivy Lea?

Last edited:
I found the prohibition bottle dump site. Once you reach the beach you follow the shore on the left side of the water till you turn the corner and find yourself on the other side. Look for a picnic table then dive.

I got lucky. I found a 1947 alcohol bottle made by Owens-Illinois glass company with the cork still inside. It has the words “Federal law forbids sale or re-use of this bottle,” on it.

DSC_3067_small.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom