Tahiti and Morea Advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Desert Pig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Headed to Tahiti and Morea for 10 days this Novemebr. Advice? Money, dives, exposure, etc...

I just got back from French Polynesia last week. We opted to fly into and out of Tahiti but dove Rangiroa and Bora Bora. Regardless, I would highly recommend Top Dive for your diving. There are shops in Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa, and Fakarava. They sell 10 dive packages that can be used on any of the islands which will save you some money. Lucien Schmidlin, who owns Top Dive, is a friend and an avid diver (he's currently on the Sardine Run with Wetpixel's Eric Cheng). He also owns the Bora Bora Dive Resort, and etahiti travel (www.etahititravel.com). He would be a good resource for you. I had him set up my entire vacation -- flights, transfers, lodging, diving, etc. He did a terrific job. As a "local" and a diver he will take care of you.

My trip report is on my website (www.debersole.com) under "News"
(I can't get the direct link to it to work)

Also, here are some photos from the trip:

http://debersole.com/layout/0001/gallery_view.cfm?g=88

My wife and I absolutely loved French Polynesia. You'll have a great time. Lots of sharks (gray reef, silvertip, whitetip reef, blacktip reef, and lemons), mantas, eagle rays, dolphins, turtles, etc. The water in their "winter" in June was 84 degrees with viz consistently over 100 feet.

Doug

Thank you very much for the info... I will contact Lucien. We are flying into Tahiti as well. 5 days Tahiti - 5 Days Moorea.

DesertEagle:
Does anybody know if they still do shark feeding dives on Moorea?
I did a week in Moorea and a week in Bora Bora in Feb 2004 and they still did the shark feeds. I really enjoyed my trip, I dove with Bathy's Club on Moorea and Bora Dive Center on Bora Bora. I booked my trip with Chris Fox w/ World of Diving. He took care of all transfers, flights etc.

The only thing that bothered me was the price of everything...the exchange rate is not good on the French Polynesian Franc and everything was pretty expensive.

I heard two burgers, fries and cokes are about $50 USD.... We are going well prepared!

Desert Pig:
I heard two burgers, fries and cokes are about $50 USD.... We are going well prepared!

Yep, that is about right...It was around $4 for a coke. Oh and by the way it's about $50 for 2 crappy burgers, 2 luke warm fries and a coke! But it sure is pretty there!!! :D

Have a great time!

I was there for my honeymoon in 2003. $4 for a Coke might be right. Bora Bora was the most expensive. We stayed at the Pearl on Moorea and a grocery store was within walking distance. We were able to get bottled water for around $2-$3. Some small snacks were reasonably priced. But meals and going out to eat were very expensive. We at at Top Dive on Bora Bora. I think that dinner ran us about $150 with wine and desert.

Diving was great and I'd love to go back.

ppo2_diver:
I was there for my honeymoon in 2003. $4 for a Coke might be right. Bora Bora was the most expensive. We stayed at the Pearl on Moorea and a grocery store was within walking distance. We were able to get bottled water for around $2-$3. Some small snacks were reasonably priced. But meals and going out to eat were very expensive. We at at Top Dive on Bora Bora. I think that dinner ran us about $150 with wine and desert.

Diving was great and I'd love to go back.

I ate at Bloody Mary's the last night I was in Bora Bora and it was about $60 for just myself...No liquor either..that was pretty much a steak, salad and a coke! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom