Saipan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgrauman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading to Saipan in a couple of weeks for work, but planning to return in a few months on extended work assignment. I gather Axemurderer tours is pretty well regarded, but Saipan posts here are getting dated. I'd appreciate a general view of diving in the CNMI in general. Great? Good? Fair? Things to consider? Things you wish someone had told you?

Sorry I have no advice, but I'd very much appreciate if you'd share what you find out. My grandfather was stationed on Saipan during WWII as a mechanic who repaired machinery damaged in Japan. He told us about this swimming hole they used to free dive at. A family member did some research and it turns out it is the grotto. I would love to go there and dive for the sentimental value if nothing else. Some day. (Not to mention it sounds like an awesome dive.)

I dived extensively on Tinian in the 80s. Our Air Force job had us stuck on Tinian for a couple of weeks at a time, 3-4 times a year. We brought our own compressor and hit the water 4 times a day. All over the island.

I was able to make a few dives on Siapan during another extended TDY there. Dove the grotto. Id recommend not doing this unless you're well experience or you have a local guide. If you end up at the surface outside the grotto it can be tough to find you're way back in.

There's a ton of great diving around the island.

Thinking about getting back over there some time. Would enjoy a trip report if you think of it later.

Well, looks like we will be moving there for a 2 year assignment, so I will be able to give fuller reports. I worked in one shore dive at Lau Lau with Speedy Turtle. Visibility excellent, coral so-so, plenty of fish life, and treated well.

You may have returned by now but diving is Saipan and Tinian is great! there is a lot of deep diving there also. There are parts of the island you do not dive during the winter months due to very srtong currents and high seas. Can be very dangerous. Water temps about 83 year round with crystal clear waters. Tinian has the Coke dump. Lots of artillery shells and 50 Cal's to see. Very interesting. The islands themselves are interesting as the B 29's took off from Tinian and Saipan during the war. The A bombs were launched from Tinian to end the war. There are many battle fields to visit and exploring through the jungle. You will love it if you are into adventure. Actually moving there next year.

You may have returned by now but diving is Saipan and Tinian is great! there is a lot of deep diving there also. There are parts of the island you do not dive during the winter months due to very srtong currents and high seas. Can be very dangerous. Water temps about 83 year round with crystal clear waters. Tinian has the Coke dump. Lots of artillery shells and 50 Cal's to see. Very interesting. The islands themselves are interesting as the B 29's took off from Tinian and Saipan during the war. The A bombs were launched from Tinian to end the war. There are many battle fields to visit and exploring through the jungle. You will love it if you are into adventure. Actually moving there next year.

Thanks. We moved about 4 months ago. Living here and moving, with new job, I have only had time to do a few dives, but it is certainly a pleasure to not have to fly 3 days to go in the water. You are correct; there is so much here it boggles the mind. But, our new neighbors are hard core divers, and I expect that will all change. It is an amazing place, and we're having a blast. Look forward to your coming.

Hi,
I thought I'd use this old thread rather than starting a new one.

We are heading to Saipan in Sept. We are not all advanced divers so I don't think it's good to go diving at Grotto. Also the stairs with dive gear is a problem. However we would like to go there for swimming/snorkelling.
Do we need to go with a guide for that? I've read about the potentially dangerous water conditions. Is that something that a visitor with some common sense is going to be able to see? We would like to go on our own but of course safety first!

Another day we would like to go to Managaha Island. Again, do we need to join a tour for that? If we go on our own do we need to book the ferry?

And finally, we will spend a couple of days diving. We are thinking of going with Axe Murderer. Of course we will ask for their recommendations of where to go. But do you here have any good suggestions? And any other recommendation for dive operator.

Thanks in advance,
Regards.

Thanks, I did see your excellent posts there. The pictures and videos are brilliant!

We are contacting Harry at Axe Murderer and we are looking forward to doing two days of diving with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom