Fiji v PNG in Oct/November ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl1957

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone. Im about to start planning a dive trip and thinking of either Fiji or PNG but open to suggestions. What's the vote please? We are very experienced divers and have been lucky to have dived most of the worlds best spots so I need something special. Liveaboard or land based, we don't mind. We like big pelagics, macro and husband likes wrecks (his best dive destination is Chuk). Flexible departure date but will be travelling from Europe in Oct, Nov or Dec. Thanks guys :)

I like PNG over Fiji. Upon returning from PNG we thoroughly agreed we would return one day soon. It had so much to offer, for me it was a photographer's dream. There was a bunch of muck diving which I surprisingly loved! However while I was spending two hours photographing in the shallows, other divers were able to head out in deeper water. Not many large pelagics, but an abundance of unique marine life. Ghost pipefish, razorfish, leafy pipefish, mandarinfish, frogfish, Milne bay leopard shark, tons of squid, octopus, mantis shrimp running all over in the morning... Anyway you get the idea! We dove Milne bay and would love to go to the Kimbe Bay Area as well. Do not stay in Port Moresby, try to fly on thru, but once out of that area we felt safe and loved what PNG had to offer. Sepik river area is unique for culture/art. Water was like bathtub water, used only a skin the whole time - went oct/nov.

IMO Fiji is great in the Tavenui area. The people of Fiji are overwhelmingly kind and happy. I would go back to Fiji for a live aboard in the Blight waters one day as I have heard the diving is better than the land diving. However I only have land diving under my belt in three spots in Fiji so no actual comparison on land to liveaboard. I thought the Somosomo straight had a lot to offer, but my favorite Fiji diving was off the south side of Mantangi Island where there was wall diving. Used a skin and 3 mil water temp varied. Went in April/May.

Last edited:
I had some divers just return from PNG. Stayed at the Walindi Plantation and also were on a FeBrina liveaboard charter. They loved both land and liveaboard and preferred PNG over Fiji.

Have done PNG but not Fiji, however have several friends who have done both and have never heard any say that Fiji tops PNG.

If you are into soft corals then Fiji can not be beat!!! Amazing!!! PNG was an awesome trip. We started at Walindi and went to Rabul. Both are great locations but PNG would win my vote!

I've been 3 times to PNG, once to Fiji. Loved both, but prefer PNG. If you can travel in December, check whether Craig DeWitt has space on a Golden Dawn trip to Eastern Fields. This is probably my favorite diving anywhere. Beautiful corals, sharks and tuna, interesting macro, warm blue water.

Bula scubagirl1957 just to give You some options to consider before making plans. Try Searching for Dive Wananavu and hopefully they'll be able to help You.You can look them up on Facebook or search them on google.

Vinaka.
Josh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom