"NE Atlantic Style" Sidemount Clinic (student report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My report from yesterday’s sidemount clinic/workshop.

Instructor:
Danny Rivera

How did I hear about this instructor? Easy, three of us local divers did a fun dive several weeks back and that is where we met. I was struggling with my gear and he had a few suggestions for me that worked. It was obvious that he knew what he was talking about. At the end of the day, Danny offered me a special clinic at Dutch Springs if I was interested.

I signed on with a couple of very clear goals. First and foremost, finish getting my rig in balance. Second, transition to my coldwater regs that don’t swivel. (I trained with swivel regs.) No safety drills (other than the one done prior to entering the water), no kicks, nothing extra. One day only, I was totally focused on what I came for. Be able to hang (without moving) in trim in frog position. This is job one. Anything else is a waste of time.

I was originally scheduled to do this several weeks ago, but Danny was finishing up two sidemount classes both this weekend and last, 3 students and 2 students. I chose joining yesterday’s 2 student class. Two really nice people, we all enjoyed the day.

I got a taste of his class and teaching style by being included in it for a day. This is definitely NE diving in sidemount. Yes, boats! He had his students giant stride off the dock to enter the water. Yep, works fine. Lots of little tips that apply to my local diving conditions, like gearing up on a rocking boat. Valuable stuff to know, especially when you may be the only sidemount diver on the boat that day.

Danny was diving two NON-SWIVEL primary regs! Not his usual, he dives swivel regs. Talk about an instructor doing HIS homework! I was directed to rig my regs the best I could and show up that way. Did that. We compare. Same. :D I just need to adjust some hose lengths…

Gear up, get wet. Try to hang. I rotate head up to a 45 degree trim, could stay that way all day without any effort. Tanks get adjusted. Now a bit better, but still not good. See a thumb in front of my face. Back to the bench, got out the tools.

I’m diving a Hollis s.m.s. 75, adjustments are rather easy. All this in-and-out adjusting took time, though. I couldn’t imagine doing this for more than one or maybe two people per day. The other two students were previously trimmed.

Last dive was sweet. Both goals were accomplished so I started practicing my kicks and buoyancy with a vengeance. Danny had no idea what I was doing, he just motioned “slow down”.

Now I have to get my arms back up and get back into frog position. See pic below. I no longer have to keep moving forward and use my hands and arms as a bow plane to keep my head down.

I highly recommend this instructor (Scuba Diving Certifications - Serving NYC, Nassau and Suffolk 516.554.2993 ) if you want to learn NE local diving in sidemount.

Thanks, man!
Dennis

InTrim.jpg
In trim, but not in proper position. That's next, game on...

Thank you very much for the words Dennis. It was a pleasure having you come out. And I'm glad we got at least something sorted out!

I have some pictures I can post real quick... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434395864.611281.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434395880.895435.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434395913.449013.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434395952.783122.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434395974.627485.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434395992.520022.jpg

I'll have a video up soon.

Haha he would be happy to hear you say that but he wasn't a safety diver. Just an student that wanted more practice. He was working on just being still and less anxious.

Back
Top Bottom