Moalboal and Alona Beach part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bredman

Contributor
Reaction score
After some advice from this forum and elsewhere, I elected to go to split my Cebu trip into two parts, the first being 4 days at Moalboal and the last 4 being in Panglao.
Given the challenges in booking a place around Moalboal, I went with the easiest one, which was Savedra. They’ve made reservations for me and arranged transfers at 4am both ways, which was very helpful. I don’t really feel like negotiating with Cabbies at that hour, and not having slept yet. I’ve done 8 dives here in Moalboal, including a nitrox course, which was great and adds a great deal of value to someone who likes to do many dives per day.
Stayed at Sole E Mare, which is decent, though simple. A nice balcony with a view of the water, but the beds weren’t comfortable and you get a sheet only and no blanket. The water is hot and the ac is cold, but as far as value goes, I’m not sure that it’s the best.
I must say though, that the diving itself was mediocre. Part of this can be attributed to the weather and poor vis, but I really didn’t see anything exceptional. I felt like it was old hat and this was all stuff I could see in Indonesia or somewhere else. Its partly my fault, by using Savedra, I knew that I was going to get bigger groups, but at times it felt like there wasn’t enough dive site for the divers. Also for all the macro stuff available, none of it was in shrimp form! I don’t think I saw one. This is strange to me, as my last set of dives(elsewhere) felt like every crevice had a pair of boxer shrimp under it. No morays either. I was pleased at the opportunity to use the camera again, and did get to see a big honker of a frogfish, and a couple of different types of turtles. Hopefully Alona will be better…

Part two to come...
Some pics:
The first(and only) non-rainy day:
CIMG0715.jpg

Biggest frogfish I’ve seen:
CIMG0733.jpg

This guy looks like he’s threatening to throw himself off a bridge!
CIMG0739.jpg

Everyone’s favorite underwater photo subject:
CIMG0761.jpg

Ever wonder where highlighter ink comes from?
CIMG0766.jpg

Barrel sponges have always been beautiful to me, and these were big ones.
IMG

Thanks Jigo

Diving in Pescador was pretty ho-hum...given the praise that people give it, I actually had expected better. Someone in my boat had a couple of nice Blacktip pictures from 40m, but I never went down that far. The frogfish above came from there, but I have a hard time rating it more than 6/10 overall. Perhaps my expectations were a bit too high.

I have moved over to Alona Beach, Panglao now, and done a couple of dives this morning. I'm generally not a big macro fan, but some of the shrimp, nudi's and tiny frogfish have been entertaining. Visibility has been much better as well. Pics to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom