Sad Ending For Batangas Thresher Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boljakool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
There has been this issue about Thresher Sharks being captured and killed around Batangas since late December 2007. So far, nobody has been sent to jail. A lot of people have already voiced their concerns and still a lot of the poor endangered sharks are being murdered. The Batangas City government will be holding a forum on April 2, 2008 to educate their fisher folks about the importance of saving the sharks.

I borrowed these photos from someone who sent me an e-mail...

Tshark08_07_032008.jpg

Tshark07_07_032008.jpg

Tsharks01_07_03_2008.jpg

Tshark12_07_032008.jpg

Tshark13_07_032008.jpg

That is sad. Paging Ate Vi!

Folks fyi, WWf and Atty Tony oposa now drafting a bill making shark fishing illegal. Cynthia carrion who is in charge of the PCSSD will facilitate signing by GMA....

Very sad to see these photo's, I have only ever seen one thresher while diving in the Seychelles, I realise now how fortunate I have been.

Hope those concerned persons in the Philippines and elsewhere can effect a positive change in the law and shark fishing.

more importantly, who's going to enforce the order?

catching illegal fishing should be a job of the coast guard.

@chewie>>> first thing to be done should be to stop the indiscriminate catching, then educate the locals (both the fisherfolks & politicos) that they could earn more by saving the sharks. teach 'em bankeros to be guides for tourists and divers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom