DIVE DOJO Puerto Gallera- info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddy-boo

Registered
Reaction score
Sabang-Puerto Galera, Mindoro, Philippines
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone

I'm currently looking for a perfect place to do my Divemaster. I was torn between Bunaken Island in North Sulawesi (never been there before) or Philippines (did my AOW and Rescue courses there).

I looked through the forums and DIVE DOJO in Puerto Gallera came up few times. All opinions seem very positive. Unfortunately their website is under construction.

Does anyone know roughly how much the DM course costs in their centre. Also what are rough prices of speciality courses- Nitrox, deep, wreck, navigation.

Also, if you did a course with them, were did you stay/ what is the accommodation like? what are the prices?

Thanks a lot for any comments

welcome to SB!

i did my dm at divedojo and definitely recommend it. I believe they charged 1000$ for my DM and some extra for gear but I am not sure. I can tell you however that prices are pretty much the same everywhere around PG. You can pbb find something cheaper but not at a first class store.

I spend about 6 weeks there and it was awesome; every diving twice up to 4 times, bbq'ing on the balcony, drinking, chilling etc.

I got there after I made a topic here as well lol. You will found out that a lot of guys here done there DM there and enjoyed it.

I forgot the prices of nitrox but that was something like 250$ exc. books with 3 dives.

I stayed at Sea Shore, a mid-budget place about 150 metres from the store (recommend staying close by; very practical and safe at night, compared to driving drunk on a scooter) Believe i paid 7$ a day but I made a deal and was there in low season

liked the place though, 8x8m2 bungalow with simple kitchen, bed, tv, cold shower. Never seen a cockroach (rare not to see them). A friend of mine stayed at Jack & Daniels; was really really nice and he didnt pay a lot more than me (but rented it like 5 months a year) You can find a lot cheaper outside PG but I woudnt recommend it cause the roads are crap, you will end up paying a lot on transportation etc.

Other reasons to choose for divedojo are;

free espresso
free internet
instructors are great in there job but also really good people to hang out with
The store is like a living room; not just a place for diving (below is the diving store, on the first floor you can find a room with 2 24" macs, couches, espresso machine, stereo, balcony. On the 3th dloor there is a small gym
at the beachfront, right behind the mainstreet

you can always PM me for more info

wish I still had to go there lol

Sonar has summed it up pretty well. I also did Dm there. Personally, the only specialty class I would do is Nitrox. Skip the rest. But... If you really want to learn a lot more about diving, I would highly recommend taking a Tech diving course there! Divedojo and their instructors are very Tech oriented and very experienced. if ever you wanted to learn Tech diving, it would be an excellent opportunity. And yes, you will learn a ton more about diving with that class... When I did the course, I believe it was 850$, but that was before Sonar... Lots of things have gone up since (that's life), but you will be getting a good training there! I stayed all sorts of places, trying to get a good deal, but ended up paying a bit more to get a decent room. Once there, just walk around a bit and visit. You're bound to find something within your quality/ price range. Also, the people at Divedojo can help you out. They know pretty much everybody over there... You should definetly write them an e.mail asking specifics, prices, etc... That way you'll have no surprises...

Great dice center, great people and great place. I also wish I was still going there every morning...:depressed::depressed:

Hope this helps!

The DIVEMASTER TRAINING adventure you are about to undertake is really going to change you as a diver and as a person. It seems to me that the DIVEMASTER TRAINING is really a niche business. Picking an instructor that has trained DM's before (with success) is important. The training is time consuming and requires many hours of mentorship. I always tell my students to do the academics over a 3 month period at home and show up ready to to dive. I want to address the equipment as well. Show up with new gear that you are familiar with! The days of using students for free help over 2 months is coming to an end. The academics are somewhat demanding (on your free time and your brain) and lay the foundation for IDC. KEEP YOUR DM BOOKS AND KEEP STUDYING THEM IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO GO TO IDC. Students need to "pick" their instructor's brain and learn from doing in the water. I recommend going to IDC within the year of completing your DM training.
As long as Ethei is teaching you can't go wrong at the DIVE DOJO. I can't speak for the other instructors there. Ethei was my instructor 8 years ago (yeah, we're getting old) and I have recommended him several times. I teach DM candidates and it is challenging for the instructor. Show up prepared and have fun!!!!

Last edited:
I was also trained by Ethei and he is top notch...:coffee: The other instructor I know is Trendy and she is very good for regular classes, but I never got to see her teaching DM. I figure she is pretty good too, judging from what I saw of her teaching. I believe Sonar got some DM teaching from her; maybe he can give some feedback. Ethei no longer works for Divedojo, although I hear he freelances for them once in a while. Having a good instructor whith which you get along is very very important for this course!:coffee:

The DIVEMASTER TRAINING adventure you are about to undertake is really going to change you as a diver and as a person. It seems to me that the DIVEMASTER TRAINING is really a niche business. Picking an instructor that has trained DM's before (with success) is important. The training is time consuming and requires many hours of mentorship. I always tell my students to do the academics over a 3 month period at home and show up ready to to dive. I want to address the equipment as well. Show up with new gear that you are familiar with! The days of using students for free help over 2 months is coming to an end. The academics are somewhat demanding (on your free time and your brain) and lay the foundation for IDC. KEEP YOUR DM BOOKS AND KEEP STUDYING THEM IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO GO TO IDC. Students need to "pick" their instructor's brain and learn from doing in the water. I recommend going to IDC within the year of completing your DM reaining.
As long as Ethei is teaching you can't go wrong at the DIVE DOJO. I can't speak for the other instructors there. Ethei was my instructor 8 years ago (yeah, we're getting old) and I have recommended him several times. I teach DM candidates and it is challenging for the instructor. Show up prepared and have fun!!!!

A lot of good info here- thanks a lot. I emailed Dojo and waiting for their reply. As for tech diving my boyfriend is hugely interested in this so it would def be perfect to get some advice from the guys@Dojo. However,as for the tech courses we can't flash the cash at the moment:( I know what you mean to pick an Instructor that you will go along and click with! that's why we are trying to call all the DC to speak to them briefly too get a feel of what they offer.
We are preparing all the theory (physics-grrrr) before had so this should save some time. It's easier to focus in the cold UK rather than on the beach!

Also, we would like to stay on for some time with the school that we train with, if possible to work as DM, and later go on to do IDC. Do you guys know if this is probable with DOJO or other centres in PG?

Really working as a DM is a difficult story. First of all; there are a lot more experienced divers around, especcially with regards to the locations. Lots of them are Philipino and have, for that reason, an advantage over you. They will work harder, they will stay longer and as inhabitants of such a poor country it's only fair that they get the job instead of us western rich people (yeah you r rich). For us it would be like a nice adventure, change of scenery whatever; they support like 8 people of it.

If you become instructor it will be easier to find a job but it wont be that easy. Especcially if you are together. The crisis hit PH as well and especcially in low season there wont be any work 9(unless you become a staff member instead of a freelancer). Of course it's possible but if you become instructor with 500 dives you ain't nowhere yet. Especcially with challenging dives like the Canyons and 6 inexperienced divers. Dont know about salary but it wont be enough to afford yourself the lifestyle you are used to (which doesnt have to be a problem)

Ethei gave me a free tech dive as a present for my DM :) Its awesome but way too expensive to do regurlarly. I think tech is especcially interesting if you are into the technical part of diving (more physics, more equipment, more calculations). In the beginning you will only go 10meters deeper but every dive will take you for an extra 50$.. Just nitrox is perfect for me. if i get rich i will go into tech; cause its really cool as well if money isnt an issue

You are asking exact the same questions as i did. My guess is you end up at DiveDojo, have a blast, won't be able to become instructor or find a job as DM, return home, miss diving every day and copy paste this text next year for someone with the same question :) (Codman helped me out like this as well, incl. a lot others)

DM at the DOJO and then plan on doing your IDC at ASIA DIVERS (down the beach). Warren Dixon is the Course Director at iDAP and he will make you successful.

A lot of good info here- thanks a lot. I emailed Dojo and waiting for their reply. As for tech diving my boyfriend is hugely interested in this so it would def be perfect to get some advice from the guys@Dojo. However,as for the tech courses we can't flash the cash at the moment:( I know what you mean to pick an Instructor that you will go along and click with! that's why we are trying to call all the DC to speak to them briefly too get a feel of what they offer.
We are preparing all the theory (physics-grrrr) before had so this should save some time. It's easier to focus in the cold UK rather than on the beach!

Also, we would like to stay on for some time with the school that we train with, if possible to work as DM, and later go on to do IDC. Do you guys know if this is probable with DOJO or other centres in PG?

Yup, that woudl be the way to go... Just don't hold your breath if you are hoping to actually work with this over there (DM or IDC). You'll probably be able to work a bit, even if it's just though an internship), but not enough to actually consider paying your expenses off of it...

Sonar is right... tech diving is expensive... But... It's much cheaper there than in western countries (well, at least here; I'm presuming it's the same for the UK). So if you're going to do the course eventually, it could be a good option to try to swing it while there... Plus, Tech diving in tropical water like that is awesome... Did a Tech dive on Verde Island Wall to 48m... Awesome...:D

:coffee:

DM at the DOJO and then plan on doing your IDC at ASIA DIVERS (down the beach). Warren Dixon is the Course Director at iDAP and he will make you successful.

:))) Sonar- a bit pessimistic there! I think I saw your early posts, you're right- similar questions. I would never want to snatch the job from the local people. But if the opportunity is there, why not. Time will tell. I guess divers always have hope, huh.

Not planning to come back home for a very long time. We are relocating to Asia- my BF wants to pursue his career there (outside if diving) but for my naive-self it will mean diving, diving, diving, and getting more and more experience. I realize that 150 or so dives is not near enough to compete, but I'm planning to take my time and make as many contacts as I can.

Thanks for your opinions

Back
Top Bottom